New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2016
    I personally do not press the clutch when I start my car. I just wiggle the stick shift before I put my key in, Put the key in RUN position, wiggle the stick shift once again just to be sure it's in neutral, then start my car. I believe that pressing the clutch when you start will just give the clutch extra unnecessary wear (That's what I believe haha I may be wrong). This has become a habit already, even though I drive our A/T car, I still tend to wiggle the shift lever, force of habit

2. Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by 12vdc View Post
    Not a mechanical interlock, its actually an electrical switch just like the brake light switch under the pedal connected to the ECM that controls the IPDM and ignition switch. Depressing the pedal turns it to on position, a logic state needed to turn the starter. On most AT's you won't be able to start the engine without depressing the brake, these are some of safety features and written on the user manual.
    Speaking of which, is there any aftermarket safety device available that we can install in old school cars? Para iwas kadyot din hehe. Parang okay din mag-install in my 96 Corolla.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiscachero View Post
    Speaking of which, is there any aftermarket safety device available that we can install in old school cars? Para iwas kadyot din hehe. Parang okay din mag-install in my 96 Corolla.
    meron kung meron. pasadya.
    it's a simple mechanical switch that interrupts and connects the starter relay circuit.
    it can be installed above the clutch pedal, the way some brake switches are strategically installed atop the brake pedal.
    the difficult part would be fabricating a "holder" for the switch, to anchor it in the correct position.
    Last edited by dr. d; December 5th, 2019 at 11:54 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    meron kung meron. pasadya.
    it's a simple mechanical switch that interrupts and connects the starter relay circuit.
    it can be installed above the clutch pedal, the way some brake switches are strategically installed atop the brake pedal.
    the difficult part would be fabricating a "holder" for the switch, to anchor it in the correct position.
    Electronic brake & clutch switches, I think, are Hall Effect Sensor type.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    Electronic brake & clutch switches, I think, are Hall Effect Sensor type.

but my design above not electronic. it is simple electromechanical. no electronics.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    but my design above not electronic. it is simple electromechanical. no electronics.
    I prefer your D effect switch, too.[emoji106]

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    I prefer your D effect switch, too.[emoji106]

thank you.
    i like it, too.
    but i am still thinking it over, on how it might affect push-starting.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    thank you.
    i like it, too.
    but i am still thinking it over, on how it might affect push-starting.
    Hall Effect will just be more reliable w/o mechanical parts. It functions as a proximity sensor...& I've push-started those with the switch. Yours won't be any different & will work.... as the safety only cuts power to the starter, not the ignition system.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Hall Effect will just be more reliable w/o mechanical parts. It functions as a proximity sensor...& I've push-started those with the switch. Yours won't be any different & will work.... as the safety only cuts power to the starter, not the ignition system.

I read my Suzuki Ertiga's Owner's Manual and it instructs the user to push the clutch (while on neutral) before starting the engine. I have been doing that for four years and I think it's safe for the car since it's in the user's manual.

Although not everyone at the casa does that.

Thank you very much.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I grew up in a generation where we're taught to check and make sure that the stick is in neutral position before starting the engine. Never taught to step on the clutch pedal before starting. Now, I've never driven a modern manual... at least none of the M/T cars I've driven required the driver to press the clutch before starting, I do understand the concept behind the practice. It's just sheer force of habit to me not to step on the clutch once I'm sure the stick is in neutral.

That said, what can be your last defense would be the handbrake. Having the handbrake properly engaged would prevent the vehicle from surging, in case it was started while in gear. Make sure it's engaged all the time up until the moment you're about to drive away.

Bottom line, if your car came with this safety feature, use it. DON'T defeat it. If your car didn't come with it, chances are, you already have the muscle memory to do your safety checks before starting the vehicle.

Retrofitting this safety feature on a vehicle that doesn't have it is not a bad idea. However, it does take some skills and is not for everyone to do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast