New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Which one will work better?

Situation:
    pababa ng kalsada pero mabagal lang ang andar

Options:
    1. Set to neutral ang gear tapos alalay sa preno?
    2. Set the gear to 2nd or 1st gear?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Both will work, its just a matter of which is safer. I would keep it in 1st gear or depending on your speed. I only use N when starting the engine and if in a stoplight. Never when moving.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If you're on a parking ramp waiting for your turn at the booth, okay to be in neutral.

But in any other situation, you should be in gear. It's safer. Going down a grade for long periods of time (more than a few minutes) riding the brakes runs the risk of overheating your braking system and boiling the brake fluid... making you lose all braking power.

This is a very real danger. Last major accident I was in was when the Civic behind me lost its brakes going downhill on Baguio. We had to come to a dead stop at a landslide area because some idiot was counterflowing going uphill and cut us off. My Crosswind, which had **** for brakes, stopped in time. The Civic, which has much, much, much better brakes than the Crosswind, didn't have the braking power to stop as quickly, because the young driver wasn't using engine braking properly and had overheated his brakes... so he slammed into the back of me.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    If you're on a parking ramp waiting for your turn at the booth, okay to be in neutral.

But in any other situation, you should be in gear. It's safer. Going down a grade for long periods of time (more than a few minutes) riding the brakes runs the risk of overheating your braking system and boiling the brake fluid... making you lose all braking power.

This is a very real danger. Last major accident I was in was when the Civic behind me lost its brakes going downhill on Baguio. We had to come to a dead stop at a landslide area because some idiot was counterflowing going uphill and cut us off. My Crosswind, which had **** for brakes, stopped in time. The Civic, which has much, much, much better brakes than the Crosswind, didn't have the braking power to stop as quickly, because the young driver wasn't using engine braking properly and had overheated his brakes... so he slammed into the back of me.
    good lesson thanks!

5. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    when traversing downhill, i strongly recommend lower gear (1st or 2nd, depends on the angle of the road). this will serve you as your engine brake, and will keep you ready in case your brakes fail on you. prepare handbrake in case of emergency.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Lower gears. In the u.s it is illegal to coast downhill. Same in subic. No way to check but no point trying to violate. Its for your own safety.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    downhill, uphill, level, it is always safer to be in gear when your vehicle is moving. it is not just for engine braking but there may be a situation where you will need to speed up or swerve suddenly to avoid a situation (like if that truck behind you just lost his brakes and is aiming to make your car part of his front bumper). the time it will take for you to put it in gear may just be the time enough to save your life.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    syempre lower gear depende sa speed pababa.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Lower gears. In the u.s it is illegal to coast downhill. Same in subic. No way to check but no point trying to violate. Its for your own safety.
    talaga? parang US pala sa Subic. sana si Dick Gordon ang president natin ngayon. hehe.

good point here. I'm convinced.

Neutral or lower gears kapag pababa ng kalsada na mabagal ang takbo