New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    SMy Innova is with an automatic transmission. This is my dilemma every time mag-traffic sa city and ang ride is usad pagong.... what should I do .... Do I have to maintain at "D" while stepping the brake and release the break to move a little forward? Or could I put it at N with the handbreak then shift back to D and release the handbreak to move forward a little? Stepping on the break for a long period at time hurt my right knee/leg... Ilang estimated seconds or minutes ba before considering placing it at N? Hope someone can enlighten me on this....

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    in crawling traffic, i keep it on D, and press on the brake pedal, releasing it from time to time, to ease the car forward.
    when it is total standstill, for longer periods like a minute at least, i put it on N.

kanya-kanyang style po yan.
    there are arguments for and against, but my personal bottom line is, "the degree of wear and tear is probably not worth the effort at arguing".

3. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    keep proper distance. press brake pedal slowly and release once moving. the tcm and ecu knows what to do naman.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Just keep it in D and press and release the brake pedal as necessary. Do not play with it (shifting from D to N to D) as that will prematurely wear out the transmission friction bands and solenoids. It is an automatic transmission controlled by a computer so leaving it alone works best all the time.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Mine, i put the gear on N if on heavy traffic and shift to D once its moving... same with traffic light if more than 60secs i put it on N... i dont know if its the right way though... hahaha

Sent from my iPhone XS Max using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Kung hirap na ang legs mo after pressing your brake eh di ipahinga mo na by using N and handbrake

There is what you call muscle fatigue and it varies with every individual. When those legs feel weary pressing the brake pedal its only logical to rest it by engaging the N gear and handbrake..its that simple

Sent from my SM-G532G using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    There's no right or wrong, just do kung saan ka comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Sanayan Lang Yan TS, ilagay mo sa D at apak brake. Dika pala pwde sa mga heavy traffic Yung tipong kalahating araw usad pagong. Tip lang wag ka pupunta NG tagaytay kapag pasko, 7hours aabutin mo sa traffic pababa lang NG santa rosa

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

9. Join Date
    Nov 2017
    I do the same. That's what our mechanic told me to avoid premature wear and tear in the transmission.
    Quote Originally Posted by ray_noel View Post
    Mine, i put the gear on N if on heavy traffic and shift to D once its moving... same with traffic light if more than 60secs i put it on N... i dont know if its the right way though... hahaha

Sent from my iPhone XS Max using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Forget the existence of your left foot to avoid SUA and...

Don't forget to use the right foot to step on the brakes when you need to decelerate/stop the car.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
How to properly drive an automatic transmission car during traffic?