New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    [SIZE=3]Hi. I drive a 96 Corolla GLi. It has served me well for the past 10 years except for some repairs due to wear and tear. For the past few months I have noticed that shifting gears wasn't as smooth as when we first bought the car. I just ignored it and assumed that some things just don't perform as well as when it was brand new. In the past, when I shift gears, it glides on smoothly, now, it's "maganit" or it feels as if there's metal to metal contact. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Last Saturday, I was driving home and everything went as usual until I reached an intersection with a stoplight. The stoplight just turned red and I was the first car on queue, but being the clutch driver that I am, decided to leave it on first gear, stepping on the clutch and brake at the same time. When the light turned green, I stepped on the gas and released the clutch gradually but to my horror the car wouldn't move! So I floored the clutch again and moved the stick in all directions, it was stuck for a while and finally moved to neutral. From there, I tried shifting to first gear again but it took me so much effort. For the duration of the drive I found it extremely hard shifting from first to second gear and from second to first gear. Aside from the fact that I had to put so much force into shifting gears, I couldn’t shift directly a gear up or down without letting the stick remain in neutral for a good few seconds. When I got home I turned off the engine and tried shifting all the gears and found no resistance at all. This morning I tried driving my car again and had no more difficulty shifting gears except for its being usually maganit. However, I do want to find out what caused this incident. I want to resolve it before it gets worse. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I tried searching online for answers and found that a lot of people have the same problem as mine. However, the responses that I gathered were mostly from US residents and I found myself more and more nervous reading through solutions that were leaning towards major repairs/replacements. I do know that here in Manila, particular solutions or repairs are first sought before resorting to immediate replacement. I just want to know the things that I should check first before jumping into bigger and costlier solutions eg Heavy steering could just be due to low tire pressure. Thanks! [/SIZE]

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    mukhang pudpod nang clutch...dalhin na sa repair shop.. sandali lang naman yan palitan..

damay mo na sa palit ang pressure plate, release bearing...mahal ang labor ano?

4. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    check to see if the clutch master and slave are ok. if they are then look into the clutch disc and pressure plate.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    as speedy said clutch and slave master assy. by visual checking try to look for fluid leaks in ur clutch pedal(smetimes fluid drips on ur toes or shoes when u press the pedal) and at the engine firewall right corner (ur right facing the engine) u could see the clutch master the one with white plastic cup and black rubber cover (check if ders fluids also)

6. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Hi. Thanks for the advise. I went to goodyear servitec this afternoon because it was the closest repair shop to my house. I didn't wanna risk driving far kasi. The mechanic told me that it was impossible to do a visual check on my clutch unless they take down the transmission. It's a good thing that I read Joey's post! This is exactly the reason why I ask for other people's advise. Anyway, they changed the gear oil which I haven't changed since we bought my car 11 years ago. It looked like mud already. hehe. However, I still want my clutch checked because Casa advised me that being the clutch driver that I am, 4 years is enough for me to have another cluth overhaul. It's so hassle naman. In 2003 when I had my clutch overhauled, it cost me only 9k now it's 12k and I have to leave my car for 3 days. I then asked a local auto repair shop and it would cost me around 8 k including labor and they'll be done in less than a day. Is it advisable to have such repairs done outside the casa? I'm worried kasi na I might end up spending more in the long run if the work is not pulido. Thanks again.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    yes it is,but sometimes it is not impossible to do a visual inspection if you do the right diagnostics,i agree with the servetic mechanic that it is imposible to visually inspect without tearing down the trans,but did they tell (like what speedyfix said) that they performed visual inspection for clutch master and slave cylinder fluid leaks (for hydrolic controlled)or did they perform visual inspection for any sign of worn,stretch or damage cable? (for cable controlled)and did they perform clutch pedal play check?did they tell you that they performed all of this?if they did and all of them are good, then have a second opinion,drive your car to another shop just to see if they have the same result before jumping up to that conclussion (trans teardown).to those who have shop,pls.guys no offense.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Hi Dennis. They did not do any of the things that you mentioned. They just changed the gear oil only because I asked them to. The servitec mechanic just drove my car for a car's length, forward and backward and then he already concluded that nothing is wrong with my clutch. Today I drove it from Paranaque to Ortigas and I had difficulty in shifting gears again when I was about to park my car. It took me so much effort to shift from 1st gear to neutral. Do you recommend that I just have it repaired at the casa or any local auto shop? Can you guys recommend any shop that had good diagnostics in the Paranaque/Las Pinas/Makati area? Thanks!

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Could be that you just need to press the clutch pedal a little farther. Do you have difficulty shifting to reverse from Neutral?

10. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    yes you can bring your car any shop you want but im sorry to tell you that i dont have an idea which shop you can go.

try to perform an input shaft spin down test first before you bring your car to any shop,at least you know what they look for and how theyll start performing the test.

perform the ff.input shaft spin down test.

-set the parking brake and place the vehicle in neutral.
    -start the engine and allow the vehicle to idle.
    -gently move the shifter towards the reverse gate and continue to move the
    shifter until a light grind/rattle can be heard.
    -once the grind/ratlle noise is observed,depress the clutch pedal and note the time required for the grind/rattle noise to stop.normal spin down time,time required until grinding noise stops,is approximately 3 seconds.

=if the noise stops,input shaft stops spinning,within approx 3 seconds,the clutch disc/pressure plate and clutch hyrolic system are not the cause of the hard to shift into gear concern.

=if the does not stop within 3 seconds,inspect the clutch pedal travel.

measure the pedal travel,normally between 4.6 - 5.4 in.if the clutch pedal travelis not between the above mentioned,check for faulty bushing/damge pedal.

important to check;
    air in the system
    damage master/slave cyl.
    master/slave cyl. improperly installed.
    thats it for now, do it and let me know what the results are and theres more info to come.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Difficulty in Shifting Gears