New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    May nabasa ako sa ibang car forum para tumagal buhay ng automatic transmission. Pinagusapan kung dapat ba religiously gamitin honda aft brand lang or pwede other aft brands. Tapos may nagreply na interesting yung point nya.

Non-Honda Automatic Transmission Fluid??? - Page 3 - Honda-Tech
    I am a honda certified mechanic up to 1995. In 1991 I bought a new accord EX and have driven it to 250,000 miles now.

Every so often an Auto Trans will fail. As a mechanic repairing honda's for a living, I was told that the auto trans's lasted forever AS LONG AS you added an add-on filter on the transmission return line (from the radiator to the transmission). The problem was any failure or even pieces of metal floating round the the fluid woudl be pumped right back into the mechanical parts, causing scarring and fast wear.

I took that to heart and installed a filter after only 6 months and 5,000 miles.

I also used Honda ATF religiously, of course haveing it there for free made it a no brainer.

I drive my car hard every day for 21 years. I mean I use 50-75% throttle from most stops on most days for 15+ years. At the 220,000 point the transmission died.

I thought I had fried it, but when I took it apart (and I disassembled EVERYTHING) I found the wear was minimal on almost everything. I replaced the clutch packs, and rubber o-rings, and bearings... but mostly for peace of mind and safety. I did find a broken bearing and bits and pieces of the housing, but other than that, it looked very clean and nice.

It took me 6 months (ordering parts from Majestic honda and waiting for them to ship) but I got it back together. When I drove it, it had the same problem.

To make a long story short, I found that that filter had collected ALL the broken bits from the broken bearing and all the flakes of metal and it was plugged up. I could not drive the car for more than a mile or two before it started to miss shifts... etc

When I finally checked the filter, and found all the broken metal in it, and replaced it, suddenly the car ran perfect. Perhaps it would have run for awhile more if I replaced the filter, but at least I had essentially a brand new AT. I have since driven it another 40,000 for the last 8 years, and it still runs perfectly. Oh, I use Dexron II since 1995 when I left Honda.

As I understand it, the biggest danger to the AT is HEAT. a hot motor, a hot day and a long long drive then stop and go traffic in the desert.. will fry any ATF so it no longer will protect the metal. Or like in my case, thinking I had a sports car too many years led to catastrophic bearing failure, and plugging up of the filter. If you live in hot climate, add an ATF cooler. Everyone should add a Transmission filter. (oh when I worked at honda from 90-95, every rebuilt ATF provided to us by honda included a factory approved and required ATF filter to be installed to collect all broken metal pieces before it circulates throughout the motor.

So, get a filter. If you live in VERY hot climates get an ATF cooler too, but
    don't hang up so much on fluid, it is tiny part of overall picture.
    There are inline transmission filters that you can purchase to splice into your trans cooler lines. They look similar to universal fuel filters.

But this would be the hot ticket...

The AT really should have its own temp gauge.

Most factory AT sump filters are mostly just screens, no real filtration.

May nabibili ba ganito setup may temperature gauge ang atf and filter. Plano ko baldwin or fleetguard gamitin.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    I installed a DIY ATF cooler using 5/16" dm x 84" steel tubing coiled 3" in diameter, looks like a suspension coil spring, inserted between the inline ATF filter and tranny sump. Strapped the coiled tubing with plastic straps inside the bumper where air can cool it down.

Will test on a long drive kung may pagbabago sa acceleration pag mainit na ang ATF. The coiled tubing will somehow help cool down the ATF. Anyone knew which is better conductor of heat, steel or copper tubing?