New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBimmer
    too bad bimmers dont have the usual drain plug for the atf..it is a PITA to change the atf on the e36. stupid bmw and their lifetime(daw) atf fluid!

Hell Yeh! That's one thing that killed our E36 BMW 320i's tranny before. When we got the car (2nd hand), i asked the dealer to change the ATF (standard practice of ours)... dehins daw at lifetime na siya ("sealed" ika' nga ng SA) so we took his word for it, being supposedly the guy with the knowledge on that. A few months later the tranny went into safe mode and the warning light went on. When they brought it down, we were told there was corrosion inside caused by water contamination. SOmething i feel could have been avoided if the tranny oil was changed.

When driving normally, just keep the car in "D" with the o/d on. If you want to have more engine braking control (i.e. mountain roads, two lane highways, overtaking, etc), then shift manually between the gears. Nothing beats practicing and trying it out yourself.

AVOID:
    - shifting to R while the car is moving forward
    - shifting from N to D while revving the engine at stop

Typical change period is every 40,000km but i prefer to do it every 20,000km given our drving and weather conditions. MAsakit sa bulsa ang magka a/t problems.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    sabi ng frend ko "off" lang daw ang OD kapag city driving at "on" na lang
    kapag highway. isa pa daw magandang maintenance sa auto tranny
    is to shift to neutral kapag stop sa traffic.
    last time na hindi ako nagsi-shift to neutral kapag naka-stop parang
    nagba-vibrate ang kotse. after na nag-neutral na ako nawala na
    ang vibration.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by rudy123
    ang vibration.
    tama po dapat naka-neutral ka kapag naka-stop para lumamig yung ATF......

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggs84
    what's a good driving style for A/T. a friend told me that from a full stop, you can put to L1 or L2 upon acceleration then put to D once the car is moving (20-40kph). is this is a good habit.

pansin ko din kse, bagal mag-accelerate kung sa D lang nakalagay. any comments?

and how about fuel-saving tips? is it okay to put to neutral approaching stops or traffic?

sir jiggs,

am not sure abt the L1 L2 to D while accelerating, but i believe its not a good habit to shift to N from D while approaching a stop or traffic light. and fuel saving, going steady with your speed and rpm should do the trick, but i guess that goes for all cars,MT and AT..

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    when you want to go fast on a standstill, dont rev the engine then engage to drive! this will wreck your torque converter.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy123
    ang vibration.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim
    tama po dapat naka-neutral ka kapag naka-stop para lumamig yung ATF......
    e ask ko lng mga sirs...pag stop-and-go traffic at pag ganito ginawa mo,may possibility bang uminit naman ang mga clutch plates o di kaya madali ito(clutch plates) mag-worn-out?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggs84
    what's a good driving style for A/T. a friend told me that from a full stop, you can put to L1 or L2 upon acceleration then put to D once the car is moving (20-40kph). is this is a good habit.

pansin ko din kse, bagal mag-accelerate kung sa D lang nakalagay. any comments?

and how about fuel-saving tips? is it okay to put to neutral approaching stops or traffic?
    I think its not a good habit to do it each and everytime you shift.

Mas oks pa na iturn off mo yung OD para hindi siya pupunta sa 4th o 5th. kung oovertake ka o mageengine brake ka.

Mabagal? siguro tapakan mo lang ng todo yung accelerator pedal, kasi from my experience pag tinapakan ko ng todo mag shishift siya at around 4000+ rpm, pag incline minsan umaabot ng 5000+ rpm. Pag alalay sa tapak aroung 2000 -2500 rpm siya nagshishift. (honda a/t).

Sometimes it also depends sa engine mo kung maliit siya talagang medyo mabagal lalo na pag paahon.

Putting it in neutral siguro pag full stop na, I'm not sure pero di ba A/T umiikot lang yung fluid pag nakaengage, so in effect mawawala or mababawasan yung atf na umiikot pag neutral mo siya while the vehicle is still moving. (i would rather spend or waste gas than to have a problem sa A/T, kasi mas masakit sa bulsa)

Experts correct nyo na lang kung merong mali

8. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    dont use expensive shoes while driving with AT, mauubos agad yung right shoe. lower right corner. especially nike shox

9. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    bakit kaya di nila ginawang sa left side na lang ang preno para
    parehong paa ang gumagalaw?

isa pang disadvantage ng hindi nagnu-neutral kapag stop and go
    traffic ay siguradong sasakit ang paa mo sa katatapak sa preno

10. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    This was taught to us in driving school back in High School sa tate.

1. Never place your tranny on Reverse if the car hasn't come to a complete stop.
    2. When shifting from Reverse (R) to Drive (D) always come to a complete stop first before changing gears.
    3. Only use (2) and (1) if you need ENGINE BRAKE. So accelerating from 0 to whatever speed, don't do it manually..remember...its an automatic. Those two gears are meant to slow down the vehicle on an downhill slope.
    4. Try to avoid shift from D to N if the wait is not that long. Just use your brake. This stresses out your gears if you always switch gears from D to N (remember clutch free sya)
    5. If you want to SPEED up, just step on the accelarator pedal. The tranny will downshift to the proper gear. To give more power, you have the option to turn off the overdrive.
    6. Some auto tranny has sports mode or normal mode. Sports mode=longer speed to gear ration while normal mode=short speed to gear ratio (that means you save on gas).
    7. Remember if the overdrive is off, you will consume more gas. (just look at your counters, if the OD is off, it lights up, if OD is on no indicator)
    8. Always make sure to have the right ATF and change as prescribed by the manufacturer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Any Tips For  Automatic Tranny Maintenance