New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Ok, I'm from Australia and I stumbled across this forum inadvertently. As I was reading the posts, I noticed that alot of people type one sentence in English, and another sentence in... some other language (I'm guessing Philipino ? (not sure of spelling, sorry)?

To me this seems very unusual. Why would you write a few words in English, then a few words in a different language, and then go back to English again? Wouldn't it make more sense to be consistent and stick with just 1 language?

2. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    welcome to tsikot, mate!

well....this is how we do it in the philippines, mate.
    kasi marunong kaming magsalita ng parehong english at tagalog......

3. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Just curious - are there many Australians over there?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    english is a second language to us, and we think in both pilipino and english. unlike other people who may know more than one but think in only one language, then just translate their thoughts when they speak or write. everything just gets rumbling in our heads all at the same time. that's why they call us FLIPS. crazy people happy people!

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yup plenty of ausies over here mate, mostly retired guys but there are also many not so old guys who own businesses. they operate pubs, beach resorts and dive shops.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    english is a second language to us, and we think in both pilipino and english. unlike other people who may know more than one but think in only one language, then just translate their thoughts when they speak or write. everything just gets rumbling in our heads all at the same time. that's why they call us FLIPS. crazy people happy people!
    But that's not the way the world works. When you read a book, it's in one single language, not a mixture of languages. The same applies to newspapers, and audio/visual media as well (movies, music, radio etc). All of these are in separate languages. You don't see a movie with one line of dialogue in one language, and then the next in another (well, maybe movies over there are like that, but I've never seen one).

7. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    try watching movies like schindler's list.. they are germans in the movie yet they speak english - german vice versa...

in this forum you post your thoughts this is not your regular media like newspaper/magazine.. there are things for Filipinos easier to express in english rather than in Filipino and vice versa..

the Philippines was colonized by Spain, Japan and Americans.. i think you know why we write in that way..

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by DZ621 View Post
    But that's not the way the world works. When you read a book, it's in one single language, not a mixture of languages. The same applies to newspapers, and audio/visual media as well (movies, music, radio etc). All of these are in separate languages. You don't see a movie with one line of dialogue in one language, and then the next in another (well, maybe movies over there are like that, but I've never seen one).
    if we need to converse in straight English. there's no problem with that but since this is a local board and majority of the members are Filipino it's just natural to post in mix English and Tagalog.

and in real life, that's how people here speak. mix of both Tagalog and English. we even have a term for it "Taglish".

mate, you have to go out more and see the world.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ok, I'm from Australia and I stumbled across this forum inadvertently. As I was reading the posts, I noticed that alot of people type one sentence in English, and another sentence in... some other language (I'm guessing Philipino ? (not sure of spelling, sorry)?

To me this seems very unusual. Why would you write a few words in English, then a few words in a different language, and then go back to English again? Wouldn't it make more sense to be consistent and stick with just 1 language?

That is just the way it is done here. A mix of languages. Sometimes two languages, some even three. One of the reasons is the colonial history of the country, being under spanish, japanese then american in the last century before gaining independence.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005

i do that

formality isnt required here naman eh

but if it's required to type in all-english then no problem

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Why do you people write in English and ... ??