New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Hello guys, just want to ask questions on what i have observed about traffic in the Philippines.

1. Why most public transport drive crazy? Do they really have drivers license?

2. Philippinos don't give way do they. They also swerve without flashing signal lights.

3. Why don't pedestrians cross using pedestrian lane and underpasses? Especially near the manila city hall.

4. I see some beginner marks on some vehicles most especially honda's who look race cars. What's that suppose to mean here? Beginner racer?

5. Speeding on yellow light?

6. What does your traffic enforcer do standing around on tree shades?

7. Where are all the bus/jeetney stops? you can just stop wherever you want!

8. Why too many old and rusty vehicles? Especially public taxi and buses?

9. Pedestrian lanes should be respected at least. i tried crossing once and jeetney and motorcycles doesn't want to stop

10. After watching local news here, most of them really show car crashes. is that frequent?

Sorry if i offend anybody. i just want to say out after i rode jeetney going to and from school. Very very scary. That being said, i will now try to take the train and will see if its better than riding jeetneys. I also hope my english is understandable.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Welcome to the PHILIPPINES . . . and welcome to TSIKOT!

3. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Wow! good observation there!

Welcome to the Philippines and to Tsikot

You'd definitely see alot more 'action' along your way in the busy metropolis. That said, why not even wonder if our Traffic Enforcers are well-educated too and 'really' know their job/duty? Then you'll have the answers to your questions

Peace bro and stay safe on the roadside!

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Welcome to the Philippines I agree with your observations. We Filipinos need to get back to the basics, discipline. And I've started doing my very best to be a disciplined driver

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by kjiwasaki View Post
    Hello guys, just want to ask questions on what i have observed about traffic in the Philippines.

Takes years of training to be licensed to be able to cope with the craziness of the Philippines roads.

2. Philippinos don't give way do they. They also swerve without flashing signal lights.
    We have developed telepathy.

3. Why don't pedestrians cross using pedestrian lane and underpasses? Especially near the manila city hall.
    Pinoys love to live dangerously.

4. I see some beginner marks on some vehicles most especially honda's who look race cars. What's that suppose to mean here? Beginner racer?
    JDM styling dude!

Green = go
    Red = stop
    Yellow = go very fast!!

They are waiting for the next victim.... este ..... traffic rule offender to drive by.

That is not old... that is called extreme recycling.

10. After watching local news here, most of them really show car crashes. is that frequent?
    Actually there are more but there isn't enough journalists to cover it all.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Let's try to break this down:

They try to squeeze in as much trips as possible during the day so that they could earn more money. Plus the fact that they are on the road practically the whole day, it makes them a bit crazy with the traffic and all.

It's spelled 'Filipinos'. There are a lot of drivers there that are in a hurry and would like to get to their destination the soonest possible time. Having said that, road courtesy would take a back seat. They would change lanes if the car would fit and in a hurry so they have no time to use the turn signal.

A lot of pedestrians do not like using the stairs and underpasses because sometimes they are dark and scary. It is a lot quicker, albeit dangerous, to cross the streets at the spot where it is convenient for them.

Beginner marks?? Kindly explain. There are a lot of wannabee racers here in Manila because each driver thinks he is a better driver than the other. Some drivers do bring their cars to the race tracks a few KM from the city just to let off some steam.

If you were waiting behind a traffic light for so long and you don't want to wait for the next cycle of lights again because its going eat up 5-10 minutes of your time again, you punch it while its yellow.

Try standing in the heat here for 6 hours every day and you'll want to find a tree shade also. It is just too hot out there to manage the traffic always, hence they need to rest in a nearby tree shade.

It's spelled jeepney. On certain occasions, it is also spelled jitney. The jeepney was designed to take you anywhere within a specific route. So if your place of destination is far from a designated stop, you could tell the driver to stop at the nearest point possible to your destination. That is the unique trait of the jeepney. The reason for this is convenience, that when it is hot or when it rains, you are very near to your point of destination.

The drivers do not own these cars and buses hence, they usually do not take care of their cars. In addition, the owners would like to make the most money possible so, they put off repairs as long as possible and cosmetic repairs are usually sacrified.

9. Pedestrian lanes should be respected at least. i tried crossing once and jeetney and motorcycles doesn't want to stop.

Again, it has to do with the traffic and weather. If you are in the traffic for hours and/or in the sweltering heat, you want to get moving always.

As compared to other countries, there are a lot more fender benders here than major accidents. They get on the news because bad news is good news for the TV station.

The jeepney is something that takes getting used to, but it is relatively safe here within the metro.

I'm not saying that all the things above would justify the improper behavior of Filipinos. There is a reason to everything we do and we are not really a bunch of crazy people. Undisciplined yes, but not crazy.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    yes, they have driver's license

but it's very easy to get driver's license here

you don't have to know all the traffic rules

just some

Philippinos are too lazy to signal

coz it's faster just to cross anywhere you like

Philippinos are too lazy to walk all the way to a ped crossing, underpass

no, it's just a fashion accessory for cars

yes

isnt that what yellow means? go faster?

coz standing under the sun is too hot

yes

why should you get off at a stop far away from where you're supposed to get off?

coz they're still useable

9. Pedestrian lanes should be respected at least. i tried crossing once and jeetney and motorcycles doesn't want to stop
    you should give way to motor vehicles at ped crossings

well, wherever there are motor vehicles, there are car crashes

that's the way it is

Sorry if i offend anybody. i just want to say out after i rode jeetney going to and from school. Very very scary. That being said, i will now try to take the train and will see if its better than riding jeetneys. I also hope my english is understandable.
    welcome to the Philippines

hope you enjoy it here

you'll get used to it

you're english is good

much better than many Philippinos

from now on, i'll be using Philippinos

8. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Try driving in India and you will love driving in the Philippines more.

[ame="http://www.metacafe.com/watch/116783/crazy_driving_in_india/"]Crazy Driving In India - Video[/ame]

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    More like rice boys, people who feel they are in Japan or their car came there... Baduy lang sila...

10. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kjiwasaki View Post
    I assume you are a Japanese dude since you know the Wakaba badge sticker, and yes, Filipino JDM enthusiasts put this decal on their rides.

but wait a minute, they don't even know it's a beginner badge hehehe.

I have a Wakaba badge on my ride (yeah, others may call me a ricer) but it is the intermediate one (yellow and orange). I'm not a beginner driver just as you know hehe and I know what the Wakaba badge stands for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Traffic observation question