New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by silverrain View Post
    Try driving in India and you will love driving in the Philippines more.

Crazy Driving In India - Video

In fairness huh hindi sila nagkakabuhol-buhol...kung dito yan sigurado wala nang aandar sa intersection na yan...Mukhang as nagbibigayan pa sila eh...

2. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Just to put some insights.

Quote Originally Posted by kjiwasaki View Post
    Hello guys, just want to ask questions on what i have observed about traffic in the Philippines.
    Welcome to the Philippines.

1. Why most public transport drive crazy? Do they really have drivers license?
    They do have drivers license, and they drive like that because its what their instructors taught them. Also, applying for driving licence here is like applying for an ID. I believe in some countries like in the UK they have to pass a certain exam (the DSA), here just go to any LTO office some guys will assist you and ask you money and they'll tell you that your licence is ready in an hour.

]2. Philippinos don't give way do they. They also swerve without flashing signal lights.
    They actually do, just let them pass first and after that the road is yours. Yes they swerve most of the time without the lights because there's a "swerve reflex."

3. Why don't pedestrians cross using pedestrian lane and underpasses? Especially near the manila city hall.
    There aren't many pedestrian lanes in the metro and underpasses or over passes are "snatch prone" or "home for some petty thieves" (especially the one in Baclaran.) LOL!

4. I see some beginner marks on some vehicles most especially honda's who look race cars. What's that suppose to mean here? Beginner racer?
    Oh they don't know what it stands for. They just saw it and placed it in their cars to make them look "maangas" or shall i say, cool.

5. Speeding on yellow light?
    Yes, this is what instructors taught them, If red means STOP, green means GO, yellow means GO FASTER IT'LL TURN RED IN THE NEXT SECOND.

Also, some justifications are made regarding this.
    If you are travelling 60kph and approaching an intersection with a yellow light you can not just slam on the brakes and come to stop otherwise vehicles from your rear will collide on you.

6. What does your traffic enforcer do standing around on tree shades?
    They aren't allowed to bring umbrella because it'll make them look girly.

7. Where are all the bus/jeetney stops? you can just stop wherever you want!
    The city gov't must have forgotten to allot budget on this one.

8. Why too many old and rusty vehicles? Especially public taxi and buses?
    Well, I mean no offense but these taxi and buses are somehow surplus from Japan. They rebuild it and it's ready to use. You haven't notice the black clouds they emit.

9. Pedestrian lanes should be respected at least. i tried crossing once and jeetney and motorcycles doesn't want to stop
    Again, it's what instructors told them. Pedestrian lanes are "designs" of the road only.

10. After watching local news here, most of them really show car crashes. is that frequent?
    Yes, mostly motorcycles.

Sorry if i offend anybody. i just want to say out after i rode jeetney going to and from school. Very very scary. That being said, i will now try to take the train and will see if its better than riding jeetneys. I also hope my english is understandable.
    No offence taken.

Welcome to the Philippines and we hope you'll enjoy your stay here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Traffic observation question