New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    As I posted earlier... My family used to own PUVs...

Here's the thing with Euro-4 engines...

Operators will keep on reducing the "tech" attached to the engine. It will work with almost 60% of the power.
    Less "tech" means lesser maintenance.

I remember even removing the engine's turbo and modifying the cooling system.

If an Operator decides to use a proper Euro-4 engine... The Jeep's brakes will not be enough to stop the vehicle.

Then there's the "conversion plate" as most modern engines are automatic
    Mis-matched Tranny and Differential.

It is just more economical to just replace the Jeeps with modern mini-buses.
    I remember that we used to have a 10 wheeler 6WA1 Giga flatbed. It wasn't used much and was only driven in and around Metro Manila. One day the turbo failed and replacement would be costly. The driver suggested that the truck could make do without the turbo since our usage doesn't require that much power. Run it did. Smoky and bereft of power, but it did run. [emoji28]

Unfortunately, I don't think there are any old school diesels that would be able to pass Euro 4 standards. It probably won't be as easy to reduce "tech" in modern CRDIs now, since removal of any one item might cause the programming to go berserk and lead to heavy smoke and/or limp mode.

They could import Euro 4 Japan surplus Elfs, convert the rear into minibuses and it'll still be "straight Isuzu". And most likely at a fraction of the asking price of local manufacturers. Then the 4JJ1 would become the new 4BA1. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G965N using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by victorevolution View Post
    as it should be.

first a modern mini bus cost like 2.7m - hyundai county.

no idea where some get the figures that the modern jeepney cost like 2m- maybe for the up'd spec'd versions. but for the basic it's like 1- 1.2 m depending on the capacity- with that youget the proper ingress and egress
    Hyundai just released the h100 class for the modern jeepney, no a/c is less than 1.3m, with a/c almost 1.4m php

I wonder how much the options like cctv, payment system etc will add to the vehicle.

But this is brand new, not sure if price listed in carguide is srp or after subsidy?

https://www.carguide. ph/2019/10/hyundais-modern-jeepney-class-1-is-most.html?m=1

Will mitsubishi play an l300 modern jeep model by next year to have a model compete in the market?

3. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    It probably won't be as easy to reduce "tech" in modern CRDIs now, since removal of any one item might cause the programming to go berserk and lead to heavy smoke and/or limp mode.
    local machine shops should be able to change the cylinder head + injection...

it will work

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    local machine shops should be able to change the cylinder head + injection...

it will work
    I wonder how that will affect the emissions though?

5. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    I remember that we used to have a 10 wheeler 6WA1 Giga flatbed. It wasn't used much and was only driven in and around Metro Manila. One day the turbo failed and replacement would be costly. The driver suggested that the truck could make do without the turbo since our usage doesn't require that much power. Run it did. Smoky and bereft of power, but it did run. [emoji28]

Unfortunately, I don't think there are any old school diesels that would be able to pass Euro 4 standards. It probably won't be as easy to reduce "tech" in modern CRDIs now, since removal of any one item might cause the programming to go berserk and lead to heavy smoke and/or limp mode.

They could import Euro 4 Japan surplus Elfs, convert the rear into minibuses and it'll still be "straight Isuzu". And most likely at a fraction of the asking price of local manufacturers. Then the 4JJ1 would become the new 4BA1. [emoji16]

Sir GTi..

Hindi naman talaga anti poor ang labanan.... Yung mga operator na na-uuto na no-read/no-write ang victim(s)..

Kayang kaya naman ng certain(s) operator(s)

Yung mga umaalis na driver(s) for "greener pasture"

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by playplugg View Post
    Sir GTi..

Hindi naman talaga anti poor ang labanan.... Yung mga operator na na-uuto na no-read/no-write ang victim(s)..

Kayang kaya naman ng certain(s) operator(s)

Yung mga umaalis na driver(s) for "greener pasture"
    Honestly though. The taxis, UV Express and buses have been adhering to that age limit for years. Yung sa taxi pa nga 10 years lang ata eh. This is why the only PUVs that still run around with N, P and T plates are the jeepneys.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2018
    why isn't anyone showing any logical calculations, though. My mind continues to reject anything na hindi backed-up kahit simple breakdowns lang ng kung paano mas advantageous ang isang option compared to the rest. Ang nakikita ko lang is yung breakdown kung paano babayaran yung jeep.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tarzegetakizerd View Post
    why isn't anyone showing any logical calculations, though. My mind continues to reject anything na hindi backed-up kahit simple breakdowns lang ng kung paano mas advantageous ang isang option compared to the rest. Ang nakikita ko lang is yung breakdown kung paano babayaran yung jeep.
    my wild guess is,
    they can't...
    and still contend that it's do-able.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2018
    I wonder why too. A simple and logical business plan can turn the tide and convince stakeholders that it's more advantageous for them to embrace this modernization program rather than oppose it. That this modernization program is a win-win solution. And yet, there is none, even 2 years later. Why is government not producing it? My guess -- probably because the figures really do suck and a lot of people will really get shafted while a select few will laugh all the way to the bank. Figues don't lie, (government) people do.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    e-jeepneys have already been introduced.
    if they are as street-good as they are believed to be,
    i imagine, they should be flying off the shelves by now.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast