New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    I'm seeing drivers who use the 1st gear when going thru a road hump, and some use 2nd gear. There are also situations wherein they change to a lower gear first (either 1st gear or 2nd gear) when approaching the road hump. For some, they change to a lower gear (again, either 1st or 2nd) after passing the road hump.

1.) What should be the proper way in driving when approaching a road hump? Should we just slow down to the speed (~10-15 kph) appropriate at the 2nd gear then let momentum work to make the car pass the road hump? Or should we bring down the car's speed to ~5 kph and make a slow motion passing the road hump?

2.) Is it true that we should only engage the 1st gear when in full stop? I've been hearing this from a lot of drivers. But I'm also seeing a lot engaging the 1st gear in a road hump even though the car's speed is still in ~5-10 kph. For others, they engage the 2nd gear when traveling * 5-10kph.

3.) Should we change gear before approaching the road hump? Or during the point that the car is in a road hump? Or after passing a road hump?

Hope experts and experienced drivers can share their thoughts on this. TIA

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    pag suwabe, i use 2nd gear sa avanza. pag matalim, 1st gear.

I have the brakes on until before the hump and clutch pedal pressed. no more brakes applied when i am about to hit the hump. While going over the hump, depending on the "quality" of the hump will then engage 1st or 2nd gear. Depending on speed and hump quality, when and how much gas will be used while over the hump.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    depende sa taas ng humps. may mga nadadaanan ako na kailangan ng first gear, meron naman second gear lang.

meron din humps sa ayala alabang na kaya ng third gear, humahaplos lang ika nga...

4. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    The proper way is slowing down before the humps.

Basta pag mataas ang humps, dahil mas babagalan mo ang andar mo, 1st gear ang kambyo mo nun.

Pag medyo mababa lang or "swabe", 2nd gear ok na yun.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    It depend on what speed you approach the humps . I shift to lower gear as i aprroach the humps and brake slowly as i hit the humps .

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    2nd gear din pag maliit lang na humps that I can smoothly glide in it, pag mataas back down to 1st kasi I need to slow down a lot and if nasa 2nd the engine lugs or worse could shut down...

7. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    most of the time 2nd gear ako. pag mataas ang humps, 1st. pag mababa ang humps, minsan kaya ng 3rd gear

8. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    before when i'm using manual tranny i normally pass humps(depends sa height ng humps) with 1st gear but now i got A/T slow down na lang.......

9. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    depende sa taas ng humps. may mga nadadaanan ako na kailangan ng first gear, meron naman second gear lang.

meron din humps sa ayala alabang na kaya ng third gear, humahaplos lang ika nga...
    Ang gusto ko, yung mga humps sa Camp Crame (di ko lang sure kung hindi pa napalitan), pagbaba ng front wheel, eksaktong papanhik ng hump yung rear wheels, so parang menor lang ang kailangan.

Tama si 1D4LV, depende sa taas ng hump, at sa sensitivity mo at caring towards your car and/or passengers na rin. Kung mahal mo kotse mo at pasahero, siyempre gusto mo suwabe at/o banayad ang pagdaan sa hump. So depende sa sasakyan kung anong gear ang optimal para sa optimal speed sa pagdaan sa bawa't hump.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    what i usually do is i decelerate to 5 kph then shift to 1st gear (pag standard height yung hump/s) . . . gasoline engine ang sa akin. Pag diesel yata e pwede kahit 2nd gear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Proper gear when dealing with road humps