New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Is your car's aircon system ozone friendly ??

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 67.86%
  • No

5 17.86%
  • Dont know what type of freon it is using

3 10.71%
  • My car has no aircon.

1 3.57%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I have heard that the MMDA & LTO might be stopping cars starting today to check the type of freon you are using in your car's aircon system if you have a model 1998 or older car.

Just a warning to other motorists out there.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; April 25th, 2007 at 08:27 AM.

dadanak nanaman ang trapik..

below 98 is still greater in number than 98-up cars....anu ba naman racket yan. kung leak-less naman ang a/c system it will not pose a threat.//

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by alwayz_yummy View Post
    dadanak nanaman ang trapik..

below 98 is still greater in number than 98-up cars....anu ba naman racket yan. kung leak-less naman ang a/c system it will not pose a threat.//
    it might not leak now but it will leak sometime. example is when your a/c compressor starts to go bad or when the car is eventually scrapped or totaled in an accident.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    How would they know the diff? I had my aircon converted to R134a two years ago.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by SeminaristaKuno View Post
    How would they know the diff? I had my aircon converted to R134a two years ago.
    Dunno the details how they can tell if you are using R134. Taste test?

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i have no idea what type yung latest refill ko.
    so what type is environment friendly and what type is not?

7. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by roninblade View Post
    i have no idea what type yung latest refill ko.
    so what type is environment friendly and what type is not?
    if your car's refrigerant was r-12 and had not gone through conversion, most likely it is still using r-12. r-134a is the recommended replacement for r-12

8. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Another cash cow for the MMDA and the LTO. Seriously, I don't think that they don't have the systems and structure to check every vehicle on the road that is a 1998 model or older. That is statisticaly impossible. Now, I do know that they can just spot check. Question is: how would they know? Frankly, I don't think that a lot of MMDA - and some LTO folks - are knowledgeable about automotive engines, much less the mechanicals and the "science" behind an airconditioning system. What? They'd decide on something like "Oh, your compressor doesn't havr a R134a sticker on it! You're airconditoner is not environment friendly!"

This would be something akin to that smoke belching thing they have. I've experienced twice to have my vehicle stopped by some MMDA person, he start pumping my accelerator hard to try and coax my engine to emit black smoke. During both times, several buses pass by us clearly belching out black smoke. Guess what? They did not stop those buses. I nearly violently argued my case.

I think what they might ask for is some sort of...paper trail, receipt or a certificate of some sort from the shop that maintains your car's air-condition system indicating that you're using R134a. But that's just a piece of paper and anything can be written on it.

While I agree that this is a good policy to enforce the Kyoto Accord but man... I just don't think that the MMDA - and the LTO for that matter - has an efficient system in place to do honest-to-goodness checks. Sure, they might have a device like the ones they use on those smoke belching spot checks but if they don't put to proper i.e. honest use, then that type of device would be useless. Prepare to shell out a P 500 fine.

Non-ozone friendly coolants in cars does have an effect in the depletion of the ozone system and it's my opinion that car owners should be responsible enough to plan for changing their automotive coolant to R134a. However, I do think that the number of non-ozone friendly refrigerators and home air-conditioners - in total (all over the country) - might outnumber non-ozone friendly automobiles. Even if 40% of 1998 and older cars convert to R134a coolant but those old refs and home aircons would still be in use, then I think that the government's effort to comply to the Kyoto Accord might just become a farce.

Oh..to answer the poll: YES, my vehicle is ozone friendly. So is my air-conditioner at home and my refrigerator.
    Last edited by nicolodeon; April 25th, 2007 at 10:34 AM.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    one word S-T-U-P-I-D

if they are really implementing the laws, pag rehistro mo pa lang ng oto mache-check na nila yan or dapat tingnan na nila yun, no need for them to flag you down and check your car.

S-T-U-P-I-D

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    kung wala silang gamit maybe pahihiramin ko na lang sila ng refrigerant identifier para malaman nila na r134-a yung system ko. :D

usually kapag yung service valves ng aircon nyo is yung plug type - r134a un
    kapag screw type yung valves nyo - r12

kapg retrofitted yan system nyo usually dapat meron nakalagay
    na sticker na "retrofitted to r134-a" na accreditted DTI/DENR/DOST Shops.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
MMDA and LTO checking freon type in 98 and older cars