New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Is your car's aircon system ozone friendly ??

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 67.86%
  • No

5 17.86%
  • Dont know what type of freon it is using

3 10.71%
  • My car has no aircon.

1 3.57%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Is your car using diesel engine? I'm concern motorist. Cause we have a diesel engine vehicle. But I using 98 Honda CRV it is not emit smoke from its muffler. Maybe there stop the vechile using diesel engine. IT WASTING GAS ON OUR TANKS.

Quote Originally Posted by nicolodeon View Post
    Another cash cow for the MMDA and the LTO. Seriously, I don't think that they don't have the systems and structure to check every vehicle on the road that is a 1998 model or older. That is statisticaly impossible. Now, I do know that they can just spot check. Question is: how would they know? Frankly, I don't think that a lot of MMDA - and some LTO folks - are knowledgeable about automotive engines, much less the mechanicals and the "science" behind an airconditioning system. What? They'd decide on something like "Oh, your compressor doesn't havr a R134a sticker on it! You're airconditoner is not environment friendly!"

This would be something akin to that smoke belching thing they have. I've experienced twice to have my vehicle stopped by some MMDA person, he start pumping my accelerator hard to try and coax my engine to emit black smoke. During both times, several buses pass by us clearly belching out black smoke. Guess what? They did not stop those buses. I nearly violently argued my case.

I think what they might ask for is some sort of...paper trail, receipt or a certificate of some sort from the shop that maintains your car's air-condition system indicating that you're using R134a. But that's just a piece of paper and anything can be written on it.

While I agree that this is a good policy to enforce the Kyoto Accord but man... I just don't think that the MMDA - and the LTO for that matter - has an efficient system in place to do honest-to-goodness checks. Sure, they might have a device like the ones they use on those smoke belching spot checks but if they don't put to proper i.e. honest use, then that type of device would be useless. Prepare to shell out a P 500 fine.

Non-ozone friendly coolants in cars does have an effect in the depletion of the ozone system and it's my opinion that car owners should be responsible enough to plan for changing their automotive coolant to R134a. However, I do think that the number of non-ozone friendly refrigerators and home air-conditioners - in total (all over the country) - might outnumber non-ozone friendly automobiles. Even if 40% of 1998 and older cars convert to R134a coolant but those old refs and home aircons would still be in use, then I think that the government's effort to comply to the Kyoto Accord might just become a farce.

Oh..to answer the poll: YES, my vehicle is ozone friendly. So is my air-conditioner at home and my refrigerator.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    IT MUST BE MAINTAIN ITS ENGINE CONDITION. TO PREVENT EMIT BLACK SMOKE ON YOUR MUFFLER. CHECK YOUR ENGINE. BOTH DIESEL AND GAS ENGINE. ANOTHER RACKET NAMAN NG MMDA AND LTO. - I ALWAYS MAINTAIN MY EMISSION.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    If any, I would think they'd have to sample your car. Which means they either have to tap on the high port. Of course if they don't do it right, the freon will escape into the atmosphere, doing exactly the opposite of their bigger (supposed) goal of having cars that are environmentally friendly...

Reverting to R134a requires NEW seals and O rings in all the AC lines in case you don't know. If you don't do this, the smaller molecules of R134a will leak if your system still has the seals and O rings for R12.

There is a product called Freeze 12 and I'm not sure if it's available there but I think it's a blend of both, giving it the cooling properties of R12 but the availability of R134a (off the shelf). Only problem here is that it's a blend, and this might cause leaks in the long run as well. Don't know if this might go through their "taste test" undetected...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Basta ako, hihingi ako ng copy ng memorandun na pwede silang manghuli in case they flag me down....

Sabi ng aircon technician ng nakausap ko, according sa series ng seminars nila with TESDA, DENR and LTO lang mismo ang may karapatang manghuli.... MMDA has nothing to do with the vehicle airconditioning ek-ek....

Kung wala silang kopya ng memorandum, wala silang karapatang manghuli or mang-abala ng mga motorist....

5. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    thank God my car is a '99 model

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
MMDA and LTO checking freon type in 98 and older cars