New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    The Rodriguez Brothers press release.... hope it stays that way.

By Dennis Carcamo (philstar.com) | Updated July 15, 2014 - 1:34pm

MANILA, Philippines - Two Mindanao legislators have filed a bill requiring vehicle owners with more than one motor vehicle to pay higher registration fees.

Under House Bill 4181, authored by Cagayan de Oro City Rep. Rufus Rodriguez and. Abante Mindanao partylist Rep. Maximo Rodriguez Jr., will impose additional rates on the annual registration of a second and subsequent vehicle registered under the same owner.

Under the bill, additional rates for the annual registration of a second vehicle shall be charged the amount of P5,000, a third vehicle P7,000 and P10,000 for a fourth and each subsequent vehicle.

The Department of Transportation and Communications and the Land Transportation Office (LTO) are mandated to promulgate rules and regulations to ensure the effective implementation of the Act.

Data from LTO that showed the number of vehicles increased from 5,891,272 registered vehicles in 2008 to 6,220,433 in 2009 and to 6,634,855 in 2010 for an average increase of 6.2 percent annually.

Rodriguez said that there are too many vehicles plying the roads and there are not enough roads for them which results in heavy traffic.

Headlines ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1
    He said all these vehicles cause too much air pollution, which harms the health of the people.

He cited the The World Health Organization (WHO) report which reveals that as much as 65 percent of the pollutants in the Philippines are from motor vehicles.

“WHO statistics showed that carbon monoxide has the biggest pollution load contribution of 50 percent, mainly due to the increasing numbers of gasoline-fed vehicles, including cars comprise of 13.58 percent and motorcycles/tricycles cover 47.88 percent,” Rodriguez said.

He added that a 2004 report of the Department of Health (DOH) revealed that considerable morbidity and mortality due to respiratory and cardiovascular diseases could have been prevented with better air quality in Metro Manila in 2002.

He also cited another report by the Asian Development Bank in 2005 that particulate matter (PM10) caused premature death and chronic respiratory illnesses and the health cost was estimated to be $430 million per year.

“With technology for alternative or renewable sources of energy still very inefficient and expensive, there is a need to devise new ways that could help lower the number of vehicles roaming the streets of the country,” Rodriguez said.
    Higher registration fees for owners of multiple vehicles pushed | Headlines, News, The Philippine Star | philstar.com

2. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Just register your second vehicle under your wife, third under your mom etc. Useless bill.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Payag ako sa batas na ito, tangalin nila ang number coding hehe...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    ^ yup. number coding naman talaga ang isa sa nga main reason kung bakit nagdamihan lalo ang sasakyan sa kalsada

Sent from Constantinople

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I'd rather drive my car, look for non-traffic backroads than risk life and limb in riding a derelict MRT, or a bus with a maniac behind the wheel.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    At the head of any long traffic que, there's a PUV loading/unloading passengers.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    This is plain stupid. Maliit na nga ang automotive market sa atin ipapaliit pa nila lalo. They're now blaming economic growth in the automotive industry for their incompetence?

If they're trying to curb automotive sales, let's see what the automotive industry has to say about this...

And then again, among the cars in our family, there are those still on open deed of sale, registered in the name of a family member who doesn't even drive...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

8. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lowslowbenz View Post
    I'd rather drive my car, look for non-traffic backroads than risk life and limb in riding a derelict MRT, or a bus with a maniac behind the wheel.
    Exactly. Problem is kulang infrstraucture not the number of cars. Problem is yung jeepney at bus na mala-higante ang usok nang tambutso pero pasado sa clean air . Problem is yung nang huhuli nang jeepney may lagay . Ayusin nila yan, tataas na collection nang LTO sa fines, mawawala pa air pollution na sinasabi nila.

May 2 ka nga sasakyan, buti naman kung sabay-saby mo na-dri-drive. Isa sa'yo, isa kay misis kasi iba naman lakad eh. Boplaks lang bill na ito.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I agree that curbing automotive growth is a stupid idea.

However, I also find it funny that a person with the money to buy two or more cars will go up in arms because of an increase of a few thousand pesos.

If your solution to coding is to buy a back-up car, you're probably part of the top 5% of the socio-economic ladder. This is such a #firstworldproblem.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

10. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    I agree, this is a useless bill. I've owned more than 5 cars (or changed cars more than 5 times) in my lifetime but none was ever under my name. Lahat nakapangalan pa sa previous owner, hawak ko lang deed of sale. I am currently maintaining 2 now and magkaiba din nakapangalan sa dalawa kaya maski ako nagmamayari at nagpaparegistro ng parehong sasakyan, naiiwasan ko magbayad ng add'l fees. Ang hina talaga magisip ng mga mambabatas natin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast