New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Kung talagang road hazard ang mga HID's eh di sana banned na rin yan sa mga first world countries. Hirap kasi dito sa atin wala nang maatupag yang congressman na yan, dahil sa PDAF na nawala pati HID pinagdiskitahan na.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Congress should look to ban themselves

3. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    I'll make a bet they'll only target private cars with HIDs and not the motorcycles with HIDs. Hearing this bit of news makes you wonder how / who proposed this. If they're serious, they need to equip their enforcers with spectrometers and train them on how to identify the lights. I won't be surprised if they ban fog lights and those LED bars as well.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Baka money-making scheme nanaman to like ASBUs. (though yung ibang ASBU nagaapprehend talaga ng PUVs.)

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    Dapat siguro mag consult muna sa AAP or wheelers club at may katulad sana tayo na organization like ADAC sa Germany or AAA sa states. Pero meron naman TUV dito sa pinas e.

Lighting Technology Type Testing | ph | TÜV Rheinland

Hindi ba alam ng magagaling natin na lawmakers eto?

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    use of foglights is illegal in metro manila. they are allowed in areas where there is fog occurence..
    so many rules not enforced..
    btw, pundidong plate light is an offense..

but my favorite is still.... green lights being used as stoplight!

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    use of foglights is illegal in metro manila. they are allowed in areas where there is fog occurence..
    Nacurious ako dito. Saan nakasulat yung law na 'to? I've never heard of it..

Counted na ba ang smog? Smog lights yung meron ako eh, for MM use hehe.

Sent from my iPad using Tsikot Car Forums

8. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    As far as I know, AUXILIARY fog lamps ang bawal. Ang stock fog lamps, pwede.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Looks like Vince got a bit heated in his editorial.... LOL!

Dimwitted: a reaction to the Anti HID Bill
    Lawmakers are proposing a ban on HID headlamps
    Text: Vince ****elos / Photos:
    posted December 05, 2013 20:27

NOTE: The original version of this story was posted on May 20, 2011. It has been updated with new information regarding the Anti-HID bill.

-

Something funny came across my computer screen the other day.

Two of our congressmen, Neri Javier Colmenares and Carlos Isagani Zarate, are seeking a ban on high intensity discharge headlamps on our cars. He cited that the use of "non-standard headlamps" (which I assume to be upgraded from the standard halogen headlamps) are "not in consonance with traffic safety standards."

If you do happen to be reading this Representative Colmenares, I do hope you or your staff are willing to take a few notes.

I haven’t read the actual document that you filed, which happens to be House Bill 2616, but based on what the press release from the House of Representatives has to say, it seems to be have been conceived by someone who doesn’t have any in-depth automotive knowledge… well, apart from what can be learned at Brand A or Sosyal Driving School.

The advent of high intensity discharge bulbs are probably one of the most important innovations applied for automobile safety. HID lamps are bulbs that produce higher lumen outputs for less electricity thanks to the gas that enhances the power of the light. In short, you get more light for less electrical load. Neat, isn't it?

More to the point, having lights that provide the best and most efficient illumination (vis-a-vis electricity consumed and heat expended) is a great thing to have when you’re driving at night, especially in a country with woefully inadequate street, highway, or expressway lighting, not to mention the fact that some of them are not always switched on at night. You say having HIDs is “unsafe”, but in actuality, having HIDs actually improve driver visibility at night, and that is a fact.

I do agree with the argument that dazzling oncoming traffic with bright lights is definitely unsafe, especially since my own eyes are quite sensitive to light. However, we should discern if the unsafe driving environment that results from such lighting is caused by the actual bulbs’ output, the bulbs’ color temperature (more on that later) or the loose nut behind the wheel who just won’t shut off his high beam setting, making it a simple matter of common road courtesy.

If you really want to press the HID issue, then perhaps you should shift your attention to improperly aimed headlamps instead. HIDs and other headlamps have aiming devices on them, allowing a mechanic or the owner to aim the beam so as not to dazzle oncoming traffic. HID retrofits should come with projector assemblies to focus the beams of light onto the road and not straight ahead. On that note, it wouldn't matter if it was an HID bulb or a regular halogen bulb; you'll get dazzled either way.

Also, you might want to specify a certain color temperature for the lights sold on the market, drawing the line between what is safe for use on the road versus those which are unsafe. As a general rule, a bright 'super white' light (5000 Kelvin and above) tend to bounce off the surface while warmer yellowish colors (3000 Kelvin, thereabouts) illuminate the road better.

While you propose that there be high fines for having HID headlamps, how do you propose to address the fact that car manufacturers offer HIDs as standard equipment on their most high end models? Are they supposed to call their headquarters in Japan, Germany or the United States to have them install just halogen bulbs instead? And what about the cars that have already been sold and are equipped with such bulbs? Are they supposed to downgrade their cars to halogens? Please enlighten us as to how this is supposed to be enforced. Don't get us started on who's going to foot the bill on re-fitting or reversing the retrofit of cars already with Xenon lighting systems to halogens. Maybe your respective pork barrels can do that for us.

It really doesn’t make sense why you’re pushing for this, though from what I read, this was prompted by a fatal accident involving a taxi being ridden by personal friend of yours and a passenger bus, and for that you have my condolences. However, I find this reason odd because I have never ever seen a bus on our roads that are equipped with HID headlamps, so again, the real reason why you’re trying to pass HB 2616 to law is beyond me.

What you propose is a mere band aid solution; just another quick fix to a tiny problem in a sea of big ones. You focus on HID headlamps, yet fail to actually address the problems that concern roadworthiness or simple driving courtesty and safety.

How many times have we heard of some dilapidated jeepney or bus careening carelessly due to failed brakes? Other countries have standardized automotive testing, wherein police officers or the government body responsible for motor vehicles actually test the cars that are up for registration to check things that affect roadworthiness. Tires, wipers, lights, and other things are checked, making sure the car is not only fit for the road, but safe to drive for the driver, passengers, other cars and pedestrians. Addressing this issue would be a much more comprehensive improvement on road safety.

If you wish to pass into law a ban on HIDs, go ahead. In my opinion, it’s really just a waste of time, effort and taxpayers’ money.

Oh, and the paper it’s printed on too.

Read more: Dimwitted: a reaction to the Anti HID Bill - Editor's Note by AutoIndustriya.com
    Under Creative Commons License: Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike
    Follow us: *autoindustriya on Twitter | AutoIndustriya on Facebook
    Read more: Dimwitted: a reaction to the Anti HID Bill - Editor's Note by AutoIndustriya.com

10. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Alam naman natin lawmakers natin, puro sikat.. puro kurakot.. pero pagabot sa actual legislation -- palpak. Seriously, this is just like a bad employee at your office na nagpapapogi lang, nakiki-chikka.. pero wala naman ginagawa. And to think we give these idiots "power".. well, not "we".. more of "the poor masses"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast