New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    I have the 2.7Gas variant. Im satisfied with it since FC is not really my concern but more of maintenance. I always prefer gas engine since its cheaper to maintain plus it has more HP than the Diesel other than you plan to get the 4WD.

Either variant it still a Fort & guess what it will always be a mouthwatering vehicle to own hehe

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    One of the reason to go for the diesel 4x2 is for better fuel efficiency and to some degree, the fluctuating price difference (/liter) bet. petrol and diesel. Also, if you consume about 10,000 + kms per year, then the diesel is a worthy investment. If not, save the Php 60,000 price difference and get the gas variant. I'm sure you have heard of an adage or cliche about having to spend more to save more. No point of getting a diesel if one cannot benefit from any savings that it promises.

The issue of power. My friend finds his 2005 2.5 D-4D underpowered when going to Baguio. Some other people who post here and in other forums either it find underpowered or the power is just right. There is no clear cut answer so try to discern carefully through the mounds.

Defective D-4Ds. Choking? Black smoke? These are very serious issues affecting potential buyers who researched and done their homework by browsing through forums and etc. Again some people post in different forums that their units are so trouble free while some are encountering the abovementioned symptoms of the problems. Personally, I haven't seen a choking D-4D, but I have seen more than a handful of black smoke belching D-4Ds (Innovas and Fortuners, and some with no plates yet). Again, here is no clear cut answer here. It is about discerning through all the posts and setting priorities.

Disclaimer: I have the gas variant. I got it over the diesel bec. of the many unresolved issues surrounding the D-4D. Warranty is good for three years, but after that, what will happen next? In those three years, if one is very unlucky enough to get a "fluke" of a unit, then personal time would have to be spent in addressing the "problem" with the dealer, and not to mention, being unable to enjoy your Fort.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by number001 View Post

Defective D-4Ds. Choking? Black smoke? These are very serious issues affecting potential buyers who researched and done their homework by browsing through forums and etc. Again some people post in different forums that their units are so trouble free while some are encountering the abovementioned symptoms of the problems. Personally, I haven't seen a choking D-4D, but I have seen more than a handful of black smoke belching D-4Ds (Innovas and Fortuners, and some with no plates yet). Again, here is no clear cut answer here. It is about discerning through all the posts and setting priorities.
    I was following a smoke-belching 2009 fortuner (the facelifted one) earlier. I wonder what's causing the fuel delivery to be too rich.

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    For me its the 2.7 Vvti

5. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Another thing to consider, with the gas rising up as compared to the diesel. And diesel is plunging at P23 - P25 and, possibly might go much, much lower on some areas. Then do the math.
    Personally I own 4x2 G D4D since 2006 and, have not encountered any problem. I am still enjoying the ride to this date and recently, it just turned 3yrs old. On the other hand both are capable 4x2 suv and it is still the beloved Fortuner

6. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    But the problem on the equation, diesel price is not constant. They vary every now and then. The price may be very low compared to the petrol now. But how about tomorrow? It's hard to tell. Toss coin nalang kaya.

Pero na-mention na rin na mas maraming problems ang na-eencounter sa diesel variants compared sa gas variants, mas ok sigurong mag-gas variant ka nalang. Mahirap din makabili ng "peace of mind".

7. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jeDi13 View Post
    But the problem on the equation, diesel price is not constant. They vary every now and then. The price may be very low compared to the petrol now. But how about tomorrow? It's hard to tell. Toss coin nalang kaya.

Pero na-mention na rin na mas maraming problems ang na-eencounter sa diesel variants compared sa gas variants, mas ok sigurong mag-gas variant ka nalang. Mahirap din makabili ng "peace of mind".
    exactly. also about to buy the gas variant.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Hi, Kenzie. I'm also a member of the Fortuner club. It is best to hear from Fort owners themselves - only they can tell you about actual experiences. Four months ago, I also had a hard time deciding on which Fortuner unit to get and the horror stories I have heard about the diesel variants. However, I know of a lot of D4D Fort owners - some had their units way back 2005 and had none of the horrific experiences posted in some forums - the problems were but normal. Personally, since I own one, I disagree with a lot of Fort critics - I love my Fort and am very happy with it and its performance so far. I would also like to add that the 2.5D4D is not underpowered at all based on personal experience.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradp View Post
    Hi, Kenzie. I'm also a member of the Fortuner club. It is best to hear from Fort owners themselves - only they can tell you about actual experiences. Four months ago, I also had a hard time deciding on which Fortuner unit to get and the horror stories I have heard about the diesel variants. However, I know of a lot of D4D Fort owners - some had their units way back 2005 and had none of the horrific experiences posted in some forums - the problems were but normal. Personally, since I own one, I disagree with a lot of Fort critics - I love my Fort and am very happy with it and its performance so far. I would also like to add that the 2.5D4D is not underpowered at all based on personal experience.

I agree with this. The best way, is to know it from the Legitimate Fort owners and, not just some people who read it from somewhere. If I may suggest, try checking out www.fortunerclub.net.ph You may find wealth of information discussed by fellow Fort owners.

As for the price of diesel in the market. Yes, it is now much lower than gas price and based on the international market, it might dip in for the next couple of months. Will just see how the ball rolls. Nevertheless, I am still in for a diesel variant as I get the best fuel consumption and practicality .

Well as for the peace of mind, I had a worry free 4x2 Fort diesel variant ownership since 2006 and, to date have not encountered any problem. I am still liking its utility and fuel efficiency. Remember, its always nice to be cautious but, dont believe all on what you read yet, as this will only cloud your thoughts and limit your choices. Try probing and ask questions to the "real" Fort owners. Then go on what your heart desires and in the end, its only you, who will know what fits you best. -just my 2 cents worth-

10. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    my4tuner... i Understand where you're coming from, i'm also a member of the fort club (even though i don't own one yet ) ... I just wanted to ask people from tsikot their thoughts about the fort as well... thanks for your time and input though its very much appreciated...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
WTBUY 2.5 D4D or 2.7 VVTi fortuner ? HELP  ;)