New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2006

Inside Toyota's A-BAT Concept: Detroit Auto Show Preview

The A-BAT is a smart concept that combines the utility of a compact pickup with the smooth ride and fuel economy of a hybrid SUV. Let's hope Toyota brings it to market after the Detroit show. (Click here for complete coverage, and here for more on our alt-fuel future!)

The A-BAT is a smart concept that combines the utility of a compact pickup with the smooth ride and fuel economy of a hybrid SUV. Let’s hope Toyota brings it to market.

Toyota has a recent history of turning Detroit auto show truck concepts into reality. The FTX Concept became today's Tundra and the FJ Cruiser Concept was brought to market, virtually unchanged, as the FJ Cruiser. In 2008 Toyota is showing the A-BAT Concept. A-BAT is essentially a lightweight, high-utility hybrid compact pickup. And it's a concept that we think makes sense. A-BAT is smaller than a Tacoma. In fact the chassis is slightly larger than today's RAV4. The platform is car-based, like the RAV, and has a four-cylinder hybrid drivetrain.

A-BAT's interior has a removable power pack between the front seats, offering AC and DC current to power anything from tools to appliances to a laptop. The flat-top dash houses twin solar panels to help charge the pack as well as the nav and information display. Interestingly, Toyota says it is working on production solar systems to power vehicle acces*sories on future models.

Unlike conventional pickups, A-BAT offers a translucent sliding roof panel that moves forward to accommodate taller objects in the bed space. A midgate behind the rear seat folds flat for an extra 2 ft. of bed length. Fold the tailgate down, too, and A-BAT's bed will accept a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood. Bed-space flexibility is a key feature for future pickup designs. Even if the A-BAT doesn't make production, the sliding roof is a cool idea.

Toyota's competitors already produce pickups with deep storage bins underneath the bed. Problem is, you can't open the bin when the bed is full. Toyota's sliding drawer design gives up substantial box depth for anytime access. The bed itself also includes auxiliary tailgate lighting, an integrated first-aid kit, flashlight, power outlet and sliding tiedown points for securing cargo.
    Link

Speaking of cloning a hybrid - all mixed up.
    Last edited by Taurus; January 3rd, 2008 at 09:41 AM.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Looks like a fun pick-up to drive and own.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Mass produced na ba?

Magiging available ba dito sa atin?

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Is Toyota aiming for Honda's Ridgeline? Hmm...

I don't like that cargo tray at the rear bumper. Imagine being rear ended and not being able to get those things out. Plus what's with that moving roof? Hindi ba mababasa yung passengers?

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    I like this feature...

parang Orocan drawers

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    compromised yata pagbaba ng spare tire...

7. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Looks like a muscular bullfrog to me

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    I hope it's priced better than the Ridgeline which doesn't sell very well in the US. Most buyers here who want a pick up want it to be able to tow and carry loads and the Ridgeline really can't do those things well as a unibody chassis. Buyers who want the ride of a car will normally buy a crossover SUV as opposed to the Ridgeline. What demographics this will fill in the US market for Toyota remains to be seen. Well maybe it can fill the compact pick up market since all the pick ups here are mid-size to full size with the exception of the Ford Ranger/Mazda B-series or people will just buy it because it's a Toyota.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I never saw the purpose of the Ridgeline either, but I've seen it at the local Honda dealership and it's huge and full of storage bins. If the A-BAT is smaller than the Tacoma, what purpose will it serve? Sorry to say but for me, the Tacoma is small enough to carry small items, anything smaller can fit inside most other cars.

Toyota's A-BAT