New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Hey guys,

I'm new and somewhat "old" here because I made this account when I was still in high school but I never had the chance to visit the site and help others out.

Anyhoo, I have concerns regarding the ride of my 2004 1.5g Vios. Is the rear suspension THAT stiff? I mean, when I drive on uneven pavement at about 40-60km/h, the front wheels follow the contour of the road but when the rear wheels get to the aforementioned area, they somehow "fly" midair then harshly drop on the ground - sending this disturbing clang and vibrations through the car. Considering the fact that my car is insanely lightweight for it's size, the front end is somehow softer due to the engine weight. I tried to put counterweights in the trunk, low and behold, same results. Even when my friends rode with me (4 fat asses + me), the rear set still "flies" over uneven roads. I previously owned a '99 Civic and the ride is smoother. (yun nga lang parang may nangangaroling pag sa lubak)

Is this an issue with other 2004 Vios owners or does my cherry baby have suspension problems? If so, what should I do?

Bruton

2. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    This is normal for light cars with torsion beams. The civic has independent suspension which gives a better ride.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bruton View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm new and somewhat "old" here because I made this account when I was still in high school but I never had the chance to visit the site and help others out.

Anyhoo, I have concerns regarding the ride of my 2004 1.5g Vios. Is the rear suspension THAT stiff? I mean, when I drive on uneven pavement at about 40-60km/h, the front wheels follow the contour of the road but when the rear wheels get to the aforementioned area, they somehow "fly" midair then harshly drop on the ground - sending this disturbing clang and vibrations through the car. Considering the fact that my car is insanely lightweight for it's size, the front end is somehow softer due to the engine weight. I tried to put counterweights in the trunk, low and behold, same results. Even when my friends rode with me (4 fat asses + me), the rear set still "flies" over uneven roads. I previously owned a '99 Civic and the ride is smoother. (yun nga lang parang may nangangaroling pag sa lubak)

Is this an issue with other 2004 Vios owners or does my cherry baby have suspension problems? If so, what should I do?

Bruton

sir...1ST owner ba kayo sa car niyo? If hindi sa previous owner maari langing full load ang karga kaya madaling bumigay ang shock mo sa likuran.
    try to check the shock absorber baka worn-out na din... ang friend ko ganyan din ang naging problema niya sa 2004 vios niya.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Try checking first the condition of your shocks and springs.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Check mo baka patay na yung shock.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    check your rear suspension. mine is not like that.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    pwedeng napalitan na yan ng shocks... although hindi tamang spec na shock... based sa kwento mo, parang may problema dun sa travel ng shock

if worn out na shock, try mo quicktroubleshoot... ikaldag/i-bounce mo yung rear part ng auto while parked, dapat hindi matalbog...

pwede rin may spacer yang rear shock mo kaya ganyan ang bagsak, ganyan yung sa kakilala ko, nilagyan ng spacer naging ganyan ang talbog.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    thanks for the feedback guys. i will have the car checked up pag off ko na. the shocks don't bounce that much when i jump on it while parked.. inaassume ko lang talaga na baka napalitan na ito dati OR hindi aligned kaya tama yung sinabi niyo na baka wala sa pwesto yung travel ng shock.

oh btw i canvassed for the price of air shocks (nirefer lang sa akin ng kaibigan ko) and they cost at about 2800-3500 sa mga natignan ko.. wala kasi akong baseline ng price kaya medyo nag-alangan ako. hehe.

salamat ulit sa tips.. i will update you guys. :D