New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    came across this, their corollas run much faster (some are stock btw) I wonder what if TMP offered the S and the XRS variants here?? Their S has the same 1zzfe engine but in MTx.

http://dragtimes.com/Toyota--Corolla...l?resultpage=1

2. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Dapat nga may XRS dito para usukan yung SiR once and for all!

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Nope... in testing, the XRS is not as fast as the Celica it gets its engine from, or the SiR. The tranny isn't geared low enough, and the engine lacks torque.

In real life testing, times vary from 7.5 - 8.1 seconds in 0-60 mph acceleration runs. As the SiR does 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) in 7.6 seconds and under, it's a good match on paper... but considering the Honda is marginally lighter and has peak horsepower at a lower rpm, it's probably faster in the real world.

And the XRS has a stiff ride, but the handling isn't as good as the SiR's, either, as the XRS still retains the stock torsion beam rear suspension.

Of course, if they sold it here... I'd buy it in a second...
    Last edited by niky; March 31st, 2006 at 07:30 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    I used to have a 2dr Civic Si dati with a B16 of course pero I traded it in for a Corolla Xrs. Based on my experience, the Xrs is faster especially sa highway even with a full load of cargo because of the gearing ng 6 speed transmission, my Si will lag with a full load of cargo. Stock for stock, my Xrs also corners better than the Si due to stiffer suspension. I really miss the vtec symphony though, pero the 2zz feels and pulls stronger above 120kmh, its very fun to drive sa highway especially when people are not used to seeing corollas that can keep up with their V6 sedans or V8 trucks . I have to admit na maspogi ang Si ko dati while the Xrs is more of a sleeper more than anything especially when I have the S rims for the winter. From a stop, you might feel a little lack of torque to get going, pero once you're up to speed sa highway, its loads of fun, I have to invest in a radar detector one of these days

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    If I'm not mistaken the Celica's engine puts out 180hp while the XRS has a detuned version of the same engine at 164hp.

its very fun to drive sa highway especially when people are not used to seeing corollas that can keep up with their V6 sedans or V8 trucks
    That's pretty subjective. From my experiences as the one being chased and the one doing the chasing, it's hard to get away from or fall behind a car whose 0-60mph and 1/4 times are within a half second of my car. Most of the time while driving my Plymouth Laser RS Turbo, I satisfy myself with a smartass driver tailing me and then make my getaway during a long mountain climb where that turbo really shows its advantage. Works everytime against naturally-aspirated cars.

The XRS is quite decent although I felt like I was abusing the thing whenever I wanted a quick go from a stop. Even the dealer beside me kept egging me to put that gas pedal down. But, highway driving is a breeze like you said.

It's kind of hard for the XRS to be a sleeper because of the body kit. I would feel sorry for the driver of an S that has the XRS body kit. Kinda like a sheep in wolf's clothing.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    actually, the S has the bodykit standard, its actually been like that ever since they were introduced ng 2003. So by now, any Xrs will look like an S except for the Xrs rims which are 16s intead of the 15s sa S. People who don't know that the Xrs is different will just think of it as an S, so it has that sleeper effect in the sense that its quicker than the S although it only looks like an S (I'm not saying sleeper as in wrx killer here). The Xrs is actually detuned to 10 horsepower less than the Celica gts (using the old hp calculation for both), in order to improve torque down low, they sacrifice some power from the top, but it works to the driver's advantage dahil improved ang everyday driveability since its a heavier car. Although I heard of people from 9thgencorolla.com who gained 10-15hp just from a cold air intake in their xrs.

I used to think dati na if I rev high, it sounds very destructive to the engine, pero since these are high revving engines (2zzs, bseries, etc), they're made to rev high so its not as offensive to rev them high once in a while. I guess I could have kept the Si dati and turboed it, pero I wanted a 4 door kasi maspractical so I chose to switch to the Xrs, for me, at least toyota quality and medyo better ang gas mileage than a turbo like the wrx.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by straitflo
    actually, the S has the bodykit standard, its actually been like that ever since they were introduced ng 2003. So by now, any Xrs will look like an S except for the Xrs rims which are 16s intead of the 15s sa S. People who don't know that the Xrs is different will just think of it as an S, so it has that sleeper effect in the sense that its quicker than the S although it only looks like an S (I'm not saying sleeper as in wrx killer here). The Xrs is actually detuned to 10 horsepower less than the Celica gts (using the old hp calculation for both), in order to improve torque down low, they sacrifice some power from the top, but it works to the driver's advantage dahil improved ang everyday driveability since its a heavier car. Although I heard of people from 9thgencorolla.com who gained 10-15hp just from a cold air intake in their xrs.

I used to think dati na if I rev high, it sounds very destructive to the engine, pero since these are high revving engines (2zzs, bseries, etc), they're made to rev high so its not as offensive to rev them high once in a while. I guess I could have kept the Si dati and turboed it, pero I wanted a 4 door kasi maspractical so I chose to switch to the Xrs, for me, at least toyota quality and medyo better ang gas mileage than a turbo like the wrx.
    I do see a lot of S and XRS around. The XRS I test drove certainly could rev all day if it needed to. Medyo unsettling nga lang yung engine noise. Remembering my test drive.... I definitely felt like I was abusing the car. But, it did keep up nicely with a turbo PT Cruiser. So, the quickness is there. It probably would be a perfect car to bring to the Philippines. A practical, nice-looking daily driver that can be abused when needed.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    a few comments:

1. a lot of those runs were done in temperatures 20-30 degrees cooler than normal philippines conditions. that makes a significant difference

2. so much of drag racing is timing and getting an effective launch. if these guys did a lot of launches they would probably do better than you or i. also, this is their best time - i wonder what their average times were?

3. people embellish the truth, especially when talking about drag racing

Their Corollas(Altis) run faster