New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Hi,

New to the forums...

I would just like to ask a question regarding the price of a radiator for my 1990 Corolla..

I was driving home when I heard a muffled explosion under the hood. The car stalled and when I looked under the hood the radiator apparently exploded (the top part was blown off).

How much would a radiator cost me? Given the age of the car would I be better off purchasing a used radiator (I'm trying to save money).

Thanks for any advice you can give!

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Suggestion ko lang sa iyo sana iyong Brand new na lang kunin mo para iwas sakit ng ulo para may peace of mind ka sa pagmamaneho at delikado rin sa overheat na maaring ikasira rin ng makina mo pag hindi mo naagapan . Evercool radiator magandang brand.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    How much for a brand new radiator?

4. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    kung wala sa budget ang new rad kasi ng naman daming gastos ngayon at christmas holiday pwede rin bili ka ng surplus na rad hanap ka lang ng maganda pa then dalhin mo sa gumagawa ng rad pa overhaul mo 300pesos lang naman bago mo ikabit sa tsikot mo, parang bago na rin yan, ganyan ang ginawa namin ng friend ko sa kanyang mits space wagon 4years na ok pa rin

5. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    di ka ba nagoverheat or tumaas man lang ang temp ng engine mo?
    pacheck mo muna ang cause nito

6. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    That's EXACTLY what happened to me two days ago, ang nangyari pala is that the radiator fan simply stopped spinning, stuck up na pala yung bearing ng motor. Not surprising since more than 10 years na yung fan.

I'm not sure kung anong klase yung radiator mo, but kung iyon yung manipis na Denso na radiator, try mo bumili ng radiator ng bigbody na Corolla baka kasya. 1,500 kuha ko sa Banawe na surplus, malinis na malinis you'd think brandnew yung radiator, I also suggest replacing the fan na rin for peace of mind, 1K yung radiator fan assembly. Try to get both for 2.5K, shop around. Remember, a tow costs thousands of pesos, not to mention the traffic ticket and fine you'd get for being a "road obstruction".

7. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    1500 ang surplus radiator ng corolla sa Banawe, halos brandnew condition yun. 1K yung radiator fan.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Thanks a lot for your helpful replies.

* raine: The temperature gauge never went past the halfway mark.

Bigla na lang sumabog.

Nakiusap ako sa mechanic ng garage ng taxis (toyotas) to take a look. He said the reason it exploded is because luma na kasi iyong radiator top . It was plastic. He recommended to get a bronze top or get a whole new radiator altogether (for peace of mind like tanatej and speed unlimited pointed out).

He'll disassemble the radiator and I'll carry it around with me around here to make sure I get a good match.

The price of radiators he quoted is the same as the ones you guys said (between 1.5k to 2.5k)

Salamat again!!

9. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    brand new evercool radiator costs around 3k-4k.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    By the way, there's a reason the top is plastic: It serves as a "fuse" in the unlikely event the car overheats. Kasi pag metal yung upper tank ng radiator di yan "sasabog" to release the steam pressure, ang mangyayari is that the pressure will find the weakest point in your engine to vent out, usually resulting in a blown engine ending up with engine replacement.

So stick with the OEM radiator. It's made like that for a reason.

Question About Radiator for 1990 Toyota Corolla