Guys, good day! First time poster here so be kind to me.

I'm looking to buy 4x2 Diesel MT Fortuner a few weeks from now but I found this forum and read the stickies and found out that the D4D engine have some problems pala. I never knew they had one because we have lots of Fortuner and Hilux here in Cagayan de Oro pero I never saw one having problems with hard starting, stalling or emitting very black smoke. In fact, I am constantly hearing good reviews of the D4D engine. My friend bought a Hilux a couple of years ago and he said his Hilux runs fine. No problems at all. Same with his fellow Hilux owner friends. Also, my dad'd business partner bought a Fortuner the other year and he was so impressed with it's performance and even bought another Fortuner late last year. Another business partner of my dad was so impressed after the test drive that he immediately bought 3 Fortuners at the same time! A few months now and I never heard him complain about it.

On the contrary, two friends who own a Montero Sport always return theirs to Casa to have it checked for problems.

I'm not saying that those facts invalidate the sticky posted above but my say is that maybe Toyota already solved their problem regarding their lemon cars.

As I said in my introduction, I'll be buying a Fort a few weeks from now and I still have some questions. I read somewhere in this forum (I forgot the link) that Toyota is planning to have their Forts outfitted with a new engine (I think) or perhaps it was a turbo. Is this already applied with the current Forts? I don't to buy a Fort now and after a few weeks, Toyota will release their improvement (maybe not the total facelift for the outside look) for the engine.

I still have many questions to ask before making my final decision but let's start with this one first. I don't want to be overwhelmed with answers that I will not be able to comprehend them all. I think one at a time will do.

Thanks in advance!