New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2016
    I hear many people saying how the LC200 V8 diesel is a very fragile engine, requiring only the top quality diesel otherwise it will break down when you put other kinds of diesel. Also comments are that the engine is "underpowered" as it should be making more hp and torque for its displacement, not to mention it already has 2 turbochargers. The diesel engine of the Land Cruiser is 4.5L in displacement. Any opinions here?

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by claytonyu View Post
    I hear many people saying how the LC200 V8 diesel is a very fragile engine, requiring only the top quality diesel otherwise it will break down when you put other kinds of diesel. Also comments are that the engine is "underpowered" as it should be making more hp and torque for its displacement, not to mention it already has 2 turbochargers. The diesel engine of the Land Cruiser is 4.5L in displacement. Any opinions here?
    If the car is rugged enough for the UN in war torn countries, it's probably good enough for the rest of us...

3. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    The engine is not underpowered at all. Its torquey and a pulls like a beast. Who cares about top speed in these SUVs? Will easily hit 170+ though why even bother?

Its an old tried and tested design. So yes its not making the most hp (though it has torque in abundance) . 268hp and 650NM torque for the current ones. But its extremely reliable, easy to maintain and is the go to choice if you want an SUV that will survive the apocalypse.

Speaking of the apocalypse.... here is an LC200 in Marawi.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by EQAddict; October 16th, 2017 at 07:42 PM.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by claytonyu View Post
    Where did you hear that LC200 eng are fragile? people saying that probably dont even own one to know the beast up close and personal. Do you even have an idea how the Aussies, Arabs, Africans and the UN abuse the beast and wont complain all? honestly, the LC200 here in the Phil are not even used to their fullest potential....

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The only issues i heard of was the one shared by a Pinoy motorpool mechanic in the Middle East some years back (this was on the old 4x4ph site pa). The main culprit to the engine expiry was overreving (these were M/T units AFAIK) as a result of their company drivers trying to extricate the heavy 200 from the sand. For the daily use we all encounter here, i dont see much issue. Heck the Innova D4d issues before was even more prevalent.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LN106G View Post
    Where did you hear that LC200 eng are fragile? people saying that probably dont even own one to know the beast up close and personal. Do you even have an idea how the Aussies, Arabs, Africans and the UN abuse the beast and wont complain all? honestly, the LC200 here in the Phil are not even used to their fullest potential....
    agree. i've been to mideast uae/qatar and i would say 7 out of 10 cars in the road are LC's. fragile? nah! if you only see how they toy around and beat them up in the sand dunes and in the long stretch of roads...toughest car i've seen so far