New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    basta carb engines and E10 gas dont mix. well it can, but i dont think that's healthy for the engine. XCS isnt E10 mixed as of yet kaya ok lang naman. i think XCS is a premium fuel.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    alam mo warayauto, there's nothing much to extract from the 2E, my honest advice is to keep your engine in top condition na lang. in fairness, very smooth ang well maintained 2E compared sa 4G13 ng Lancer. 2E will still get the job done of transpo in simple fashion though.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Honestly, if you want to waste less money, just do an engine swap and be over with it.

You can spend P50K on modding the existing engine and it will still be slower than a 4AFE with a cheap IHE upgrade.

Best option would be the 4AGE-20v silver top engine if you can find one in good condition.

If you dont want to spend serious money to make serious HP... then just keep your car stock and be happy it runs well and smooth.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I used to drive a modified carbureted Sentra FE. straight through exhaust, air intake, etcetera... and that had a more powerful DOHC engine and an ultralight body (no sound deadening, pawis windows, no stereo). Heavier 1.6 cars still outran it everywhere except in the corners. Fun little car, but fast? No. Fuel economy shouldn't suffer if you modify it correctly, but go oversized on the exhaust pipes and economy will suffer.

If you want something faster but still fuel efficient, swap to a 4AFE. If you want something faster, period, a 3SGE should fit the bill... more torque everywhere.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Here's a tip that will cost you almost nothing:

Remove the air filter.

Try driving it around for a few minutes. Don't worry it wont hurt the engine. Try flooring the pedal. You will feel the difference.

Essentially, more air = better combustion = more power. Removing the air filter removes that restriction allowing your engine to breathe easier. If your 2E still has the air duct with the triangular-shaped plastic end, then just stuff a small plastic body scrubber like this that you can get a supermarkets or Watsons or whatever:

http://www.superiordiamonfusion.com/...dyscrubber.jpg

This will trap the larger dirt and dust particles. You can also use the toe end of an old pantyhose to cover the opening. This gives you some filtration without restricting airflow.

Downside to this is that your oil and carb will get a bit dirtier than usual, but nothing that can't be cleaned with a good washdown from a spray carb cleaner, also available at any supermarket.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by tanatej View Post
    Here's a tip that will cost you almost nothing:

Remove the air filter.

Try driving it around for a few minutes. Don't worry it wont hurt the engine. Try flooring the pedal. You will feel the difference.

Essentially, more air = better combustion = more power. Removing the air filter removes that restriction allowing your engine to breathe easier. If your 2E still has the air duct with the triangular-shaped plastic end, then just stuff a small plastic body scrubber like this that you can get a supermarkets or Watsons or whatever:

http://www.superiordiamonfusion.com/...dyscrubber.jpg

This will trap the larger dirt and dust particles. You can also use the toe end of an old pantyhose to cover the opening. This gives you some filtration without restricting airflow.

Downside to this is that your oil and carb will get a bit dirtier than usual, but nothing that can't be cleaned with a good washdown from a spray carb cleaner, also available at any supermarket.

Nice tips .... if you want to ruin a perfectly good engine due to the increased wear & tear from all the dust & dirt from the air.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Sir ghosthunter,

With all due respect I've been driving my 2E bigbody Corolla that way for almost 5 years now. You'd think that I would have scored my cylinder walls so deep, wrecked all my piston rings and should have had a complete overhaul by now.... but I haven't. As I've said, aside from a more frequent (6K Kms.) oil change and regular cleaning of the air ducts b hosing it down every two weeks, I haven't had a problem, only benefits by increased engine power.

And to think it is a 16 year old engine. Been overhauled only once, about 6 years ago. And the 2E doesn't even need a premium engine oil, my engine uses Shell Helix red 20W-50 that you can get for 600 bucks or so. (I do my oil changes by the way so it costs less for me)

The key to make this work is consistent maintenance, nothing more than what one should be doing every weekend anyway Clean air ducts at least once every two weeks. replace makeshift filters every week (I can get approximately 8 "filter" changes from a single pantyhose), and make sure the engine bay is clean by having the engine detailed at least once a year to prevent oily dust buildup. That's it.

I spoke from experience and just wished to share my experiences with the user. He is free to try it, he will not "ruin" his perfectly good engine by driving 15 minutes without the filter on just to feel the difference. The 2E is a tough little engine, it will not be ruined by little dust specks, it will just gobble it up and burn it in a blink. Thousands of taxis in the metro cannot be wrong.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    *speed unlimited: I see. That’s great to know that headers and intakes actually add a bit HP and is noticeable on 2E’s. But will it change the fuel consumption, reliability and engine noise that it produces? Do I have to custom made a headers and intakes for it? Or there are readily available in the market? How about the catalytic converter? Would that stay on?
    If your asking about reliability putting an intake , header,exhaust will make your engine breath freely and removed restriction like the catalytic converter. They will also put resonator to lessen the noise . Inquire on Premuff regarding your exhaust system and important is the size of the piping they will use .

9. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Ngayon pa lang sasabihin ko na sa inyo na hindi worth it gastusan ang 2E. It's an engine designed to get you from point A to point B reliably. If you want an engine that you can tinker with and get your money's worth, swap a 4AGE blacktop in it.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tanatej View Post
    Ngayon pa lang sasabihin ko na sa inyo na hindi worth it gastusan ang 2E. It's an engine designed to get you from point A to point B reliably. If you want an engine that you can tinker with and get your money's worth, swap a 4AGE blacktop in it.
    I'm with him on this, single cam was never meant to give you lots of power but to give you better fuel consumption, people will tell you rebuild it then add intake & cat back or bigger carb, your 2E will still end up less power than a 16V 4age & if you want more power your fuel consumption will go higher its a give and take.

if you want more info on 4age's read this 2 links that can help, people may tell you swap a 20V silver top or black top or 16V 4agze or 16V red top, the truth is research what is the right engine for you.

http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showt...t=49436&page=4

http://www.club4ag.com/technical_main.htm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
How to increase noticeable HP on a stock 1.3L engine Toyota Corolla (2000)