New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Hi guys! I'm new here at tsikot! need help concerning the Hilux 4x2 G with the 2.7vvti engine.. what are the problems and concerns regarding this truck and its performance?? Im about to buy one coz of its looks and its Height.. it is my dream truck for sometime now but I have no idea on its performance and fuel consumption.. thanks!!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Consumption is okay for an engine that size... I believe 5-7 in traffic is average.

Power is great. Handling is very good for a truck.

The ride is really stiff. Many owners buy aftermarket shocks for the rear end right away. But if you really want this truck, go ahead and buy it, and decide for yourself if you still want to modify the shock absorbers.

If you're willing to wait, you might want to check out the new Strada. It has good power and a terrific ride. The upcoming Ford Ranger is another good truck to check out. It's supposed to have best-in-class torque and power, the tallest ride height, and a good ride and handling.

But if you want the Hilux, go ahead. Nothing beats it for space... yet.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    thanks sir niky for your comments but I dont like the rear end of the strada and the new ranger is just an face lift of the old ranger with a new engine... and Im not really into the diesels still like the power of gasoline engine..
    am sorry for my nagging but what kind of rear shocks do they replace the OEM part?...

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    Hi Orido and welcome!

I agree with you sa power ng gas engine especially if its a Toyota. I've test driven all the current variants and just what Niky pointed out, talagang matigas ang ride. The recommended aftermarket shocks for this would be Old Man EMU or Rancho RS9000X.

Do you also plan to change the stock wheels?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    thanks sir Memphis! Yup!! most definitely!! also planning to change the fog lights with all weather lights and the headlights with HID's so it means na talagang mlakas ung gas ng Hilux? yoko kasi ng Diesel kc as time passes it will become noisy and bka mging mausok!!
    sir, how much would those after market shocks set me back?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Test drive one before buying. Unless you regularly haul at full payload, the higher payload capacity of the Hilux is not worth the sacrifice in ride comfort. At least not for me. There are other rigs that can look good and ride high without needing regular visits to the chiropractor.

I still suggest you do a comprehensive test drive before signing on the dotted line. Kapag excited kasi tayo o sobrang crush natin yung sasakyan we tend to overlook its shortcomings (e.g. the punishing ride). Minsan nasa huli ang pagsisisi.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    msama ba tlaga ung ride ng hilux?? ksi from what I read from the other forum mas mganda pa raw ung ride ng Hilux kesa sa fortuner kapag mbigat ung likod??.. so it means na kapag pinaltan ko pa ng wheels lalong mgi2ng stiff ung ride?.. Mga sir okay po ba ung brakes nito compared with the Fortuner? kasi db mhina daw ang brakes ng fortuner??

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Orido View Post
    yoko kasi ng Diesel kc as time passes it will become noisy and bka mging mausok!!
    sir, how much would those after market shocks set me back?
    Hi Orido,
    I think this is a common misconception with regards to diesel engines. As long as you give your rig the proper TLC (tender loving care), it won't give you that much problems. Diesels are also known to be more durable and resistant to the elements compared to gas fed rigs. Also, toyota diesels are quiet...not known to be noisy compared to Isuzu's.

Get this: Durability, Low end torque, fuel economy...

But if you really want the gas variant, its still a good buy IMO...

Goodluck!

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The unit we tested was unladen and at factory recommended tire pressures. If you have ridden in the DMax and Strada (new or old), you'd think the tires on the Hilux were filled with cement. Sure you can change shocks and other stuff but that would just be additional expense [to what is already one of the most expensive trucks on the market today] and would void your suspension warranty.

The brakes were ok for me. Somewhat spongy typical of vehicles in this class. But the lack of ABS even as an option should be addressed by Toyota.

I still say do a comprehensive test drive. Never buy a vehicle without doing a complete test drive.

*Our Hilux test drive article is a sticky in the Diesel forum.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Orido View Post
    msama ba tlaga ung ride ng hilux?? ksi from what I read from the other forum mas mganda pa raw ung ride ng Hilux kesa sa fortuner kapag mbigat ung likod??.. so it means na kapag pinaltan ko pa ng wheels lalong mgi2ng stiff ung ride?.. Mga sir okay po ba ung brakes nito compared with the Fortuner? kasi db mhina daw ang brakes ng fortuner??
    The Old Man EMU is known for its soft yet stable ride. A set is P22,000.00. The Rancho rs9000x series costs almost double last time I checked pero high end na yon sa brand, but I think you can go for the 5000 series (if your on a budget) which costs around P15,000.00 lang. May improvement na yon from stock.

Comparing the Hi-lux to the Fortuner's ride is a bit misleading. Iba kasi set-up nila as to purpose. Sa brakes naman, I think that a little adjustment will definitely improve the braking distance which is also governed by the load the vehicle has: greater load = longer brake distance. I think that the reason na spongy ang brake pedal is because of the drive-by-wire technology Toyota has applied to its IMV fleet including the Innova. I'm guessing here.

As to the question na much stiffer ang ride when you change tires is really a question of what type of shoes are you gonna replace it with. I strongly suggest that you go for more rubber than bling otherwise all that suspension change can only serve half its purpose.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Hilux 2.7 vvti G