New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Share ko lang sa inyo ang experience ko with the new Toyota Hi-lux 4x4 with the D4D diesel engine. The other day my friend and I went to subic to break-in our new hil-lux. We left manila at about 8am, the gas tank was about a little more than half tank full(or half empty, which ever you prefer). One thing you will notice with the new toyota engine was how quiet it is compared to the other diesel engines. We have owned different pickups, and currently we have a '02 strada, '02 ranger 4x4, and '94 isuzu, and it is soooo way much better than the three. As I drove along the beautifully paved NLEX, my tach registers at 2300 rpm and im already doing 120kmh, ang the engine does not seem it was making any effort at all. The accelaration was excellent. Overtaking is so easy with lots of power to spare. I would push 140-150kmh from time to time with ease. Cabin noise is so low its feels like you're in a car. If I wasnt looking at the speedo I would say that I was only doing 80 while leaving the slower cars behind. Needless to say that traversing through the hills of subic is such an easy task for this machine. On the way home I tried to push the engine a little harder and lo and behold I was doing 180kmh/hr in a few seconds at 3500rpm. We have not tried bringing this baby off-roading yet. Maybe after the tire change(small tires, for a big body) and a little suspension mod. This week she is due for the 1000km check up. Toyota has a winner here. I cant wait for the fortuner if it has the same engine and drive train.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    i think the fortuner will be better for the little price difference.. iba talaga ang toyota :D

TER: Congrats on your ride, Havn't test driven a Hilux yet... sana this sunday. BTW Hows the fuel economy?

4. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    tfr hows the ride of the new hilux? and is your unit an auto tranny? your review of the hilux is making me think of selling my old pajero and buying the fortuner. :car:

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    lakas ng hatak ng makina.. un sa ride kasi coils naman on all four corners hinde tulad ng hilux na leaf pa un likod.. so i think ganda ride nun fortuner! :D

6. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    well, the Hilux has a quiet engine IMO and it drives well. The D-Max is also a good pick up but the engine is kinda noisy IMO. Congrats on your ride.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    We currently own an Isuzu DMax and was also able to drive a Hi-Lux from manila to tagaytay. Though Dmax also gives more power than needed, mas malakas, mas tahimik engine, and mas comfy ang ride ng Hi-Lux...hands down.

Agree with Odell. I think that the fortuner will improve in terms of riding comfort compared to the Hi-lux, pero pick-up naman kasi ang hi-lux eh. It really depends on one's demands.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    last sunday i was able to park my 4x2dmax next to a 4x4hilux. my dmax looked like 4x4 hilux's little brother. all important dimensions like cargo area and cab area are larger than the dmaxs'. (and the dmax is not a small pickup.) not even mentioning the difference in the engine sperformance.

shame toyota did not include important features like ABS etc.

but our dmax is nearly 35000km old so when toyota upgrades the hilux, we will be in a position to also change to a 4x4hilux. Nice.

dmax manual -- 120kph at 3k rpm, 140kph at 3.4k rpm. not tried claimed top speed of 160kph but it feels it can still easily reach that speed. TFR must be cruising at auto OD.

besides isuzu service is not as good as toyota's.

thanks

9. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    woow..!..ok talaga..kababrowsed kolang sa motioncar..

pros: refined engine, ergonomics..cons: no abs, small 15" wheels..

presyo m/t: 4x2.. p748k. steel wheels..4x4..p928k walang airbag parho lapad kaha at makina sa 4x2..4x4..p1,250k w driver airbag, malapad kaha + malaki makina..

pede nako sa 4x2 steel wheels para di gaano laki bayad compre insurance

pag natipohan ng mga carnappers malas nalang..
    Last edited by 2004lynxghia; April 25th, 2005 at 07:30 PM. Reason: added carnappers

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    btw... the 4x2 hi-lux only has a a 2.5L engine (as the 4x4 hi-lux has the 3.0L engine).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Hi-Lux experience