New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    mga diesel gurus, any suggestions on how to cure overheating problems on a 2L-TE engine? My friend has a '91 Prado and a '94 Surf, pareho sila nagiinit (a little over 1/2) sa traffic w/ air-con on.

As much as possible ayaw namin sana dagdagan aux fan. isip namin baka it might something to do with the conversion or wiring or piping.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    wild guess lang po... since matagal na yun model... check nyo kung may tagas yun mga hose na nakakabit sa radiator and check nyo po yun water pump kung may leaks na.... check nyo rin po kung nag-cicirculate pa yun tubig dun sa radiator... baka kelangan lang pa-sonda or linisin yun radiator.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Check the ff:
    1) if it has the right coolant mixture(not water alone)
    2) if thermostat is still working
    3) if clutch fan needs new silicone oil(fan's rotation is weak)
    4) change radiator cap
    5) ask Hanson to check injec timing

4. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    im inclined towards the thermostat being stuck due to the fact that the "car" has been in stock for quite sometime... tapos puwede din eh may barado sa radiator mo, like a few rows dahil sa kalawang... pero both are not likely to happen din kasi if its from subic...japan... its a rule of thumb there to use coolant so dapat may lubrication yung radiator mo and thermostat... never had any heating problems from subic cars,except maybe nung pauwi kami from subic eh naputukan ng lower radiator hose yung surf...heheheh

natutuyuan ba ng tubig or same level lang?

I would go with the suggestion of Maki but all the suugestions posted are things that should also be checked. Issue talaga ito sa 2L-Te engines from Toyota. Pag pinatagal yan madaling ng magcr-crack ang cylinder head niyan so pagawa na dapat. Normally when you buy rigs that has this motor you should completely drain and clean the cooling system. Normally they replace the thermostat or totally bypass it para continuous takbo ng cooling water sa engine mo. At least 2:1 ang h20/coolant ratio. As mentioned do all the suggested repair/check up steps. Di naman kailangan paltan kung hindi sira. Mas magastos magpalit o mag pa machine shop ng cylinder head so if I were u pagagawa ko na yan. HTH!

6. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Discovery ko lang, regarding the thermostat - don't run without one installed, since your engine will run too cold when there's a lot of airflow into the radiator (i.e. running on the hiway). If you have an automatic transmission, the ECU will not activate clutch lockup while engine temp is too low. The practice of the mechanics at subic is to remove or bypass the thermostat....

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Follow the suggestions mentioned above. 1/2 range ng temp gauge is still ok unless the gauge registers to the hot/red zone. Your other option is an additional auxillary fan. Have the cooling fins of your radiator cleaned. Goodluck.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    since papa check mo radiator mo,
    pa tanso mo top and bottom

9. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    *badsekktor, jackaroo, Maki, garyq, ClemO, roydok, kimpOy
    dami dami salamat sa mga inputs niyo. all you guys have been so helpfull lalo na sa mga may hands on and experience with this type of engine. Definitely will heed all your advices.. lalo pa ngayon i just recommended my dad to get a '90 LJ78W Prado, ayaw ko masisi in the end. Btw we're getting it for 390k, oks na ba yun price?

10. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    di ko sure kung magkano talaga price ngayon ng mga subic na surplus.. if u want, may nakita ako nagbebenta ng surplus and isa sila sa nakita ko maayos mag-convert. pati dashboard and vents ng aircon. palit daw sila ng brake pads, timing belt, fluids, etc. as in wala ka na papalitan. (as what the owner says) ok naman nung chineck namin mga units. palit din daw ng buo steering... di ko pa nakilatis ng todo mga units nila pero mukha naman pulido. sa may e. rodriguez un showroom. Subic APEX ata yun name nung place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Help with Subic Prado-Surf 2L-TE overheating