New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    As the title aptly suggests, my Camry's dashboard has melted due to the extreme heat.

My windshield has no tint and I sometimes forget to put up the windshield foil cover when I park.

The dashboard now feels very sticky and when I leave the car under the sun for a long stretch, I can actually rub off some of the dashboard's rubber coating surface if I touch it. It also has several scratches due to accidental hits from fingernails and such, and a lot of scratches from the bottom of the windshield foil cover (Yes, the dashboard is now that soft).

I'm afraid to apply anything on it as this might just make its condition worse.

My last option is to use a dashboard cover to hide the scratches and prevent the dashboard from getting damaged further. My concerns with this option are:

Where do I buy a good/decent-looking dashboard cover for my car? (My dashboard is color black). I'm based in Davao but I would consider buying it in Manila then just install it myself

And would this get in the way of the passenger airbag?

Any other suggestions aside from my idea above, please do not hesitate to express them.

Help desperately needed.

Thanks

2. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    I don't like those 80's furry dash cover. The only one's I see still sporting those are taxis and FX.
    If you're willing to stretch the budget a bit, how about a new (second hand from the chop shop) dashboard? There are also those that have leather wrapped their dashboard for the added premium feel. I suggest you put on some tints after din
    Last edited by albert_b; October 31st, 2012 at 11:37 AM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i would prefer getting a surplus dash instead or have your dash refurbished. the dash cover attracts lots of dust and it will make your interiors impure... mas malala kung may allergy ka pa.... and besides, it would not smell that good during rainy days.

pero kung walang option.... yun na talaga.

i think it will get in the way of the airbag. pero sa lakas ng pressure ng airbag, gagana pa din naman sya.

additional comments from the users http://tsikot.com/forums/interior-de...ashield-41370/

4. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Thanks for the feedback. Any idea how much a replacement dashboard would cost? Any leads where I can buy one?

Also, saan pwede magpa-leather wrap ng dashboard?

5. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    TS, i'm with having the dashboard refurbished. why not ipa leather mo na lang mas maganda pa kakalabasan.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bin Diesel View Post
    TS, i'm with having the dashboard refurbished. why not ipa leather mo na lang mas maganda pa kakalabasan.
    I'm leaning on this option more. It would look better and probably cost cheaper as well.
    Thanks

7. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    I have the same problem with my 2008 Camry.

Called up Toyota and they said they've replaced a couple of melting dashboards that were within the warranty period.

My dashboard goes back to normal overnight. i then clean it with moist cloth. Did it for a couple of days, it seems to have lessened the problem.

You can also leather wrap your whole dashboard and make it look with some of the more premium cars.

Sone of the reasons given for the melting dash is over exposure of the soft rubber to sun and prolonged use of commercially available cleaning agents.

shops that make sest covers should be able to leather wrap your dashboard.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'm surprised this happens to cars in this day and age. What the more to units in the Middle East?

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by steer View Post
    prolonged use of commercially available cleaning agents.
    The more plausible reason. Looks like the popular shiny cleaning spray most owners use is not friendly to some materials

10. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by steer View Post
    I have the same problem with my 2008 Camry.

Called up Toyota and they said they've replaced a couple of melting dashboards that were within the warranty period.

My dashboard goes back to normal overnight. i then clean it with moist cloth. Did it for a couple of days, it seems to have lessened the problem.

You can also leather wrap your whole dashboard and make it look with some of the more premium cars.

Sone of the reasons given for the melting dash is over exposure of the soft rubber to sun and prolonged use of commercially available cleaning agents.

shops that make sest covers should be able to leather wrap your dashboard.
    I think mine has more to do with sun over exposure since I don't use cleaning agents.

Unfortunately, not a lot of leather upholstery shops here in Davao so my options are limited..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast