New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Hi guys!

Need your opinion. I am considering buying a pre-owned 2005 Fortuner V (4x4) A/T. Will be using it as a daily drive to the office (Paranaque - Makati). And also for some weekend out of town trips with the wife and friends. I do not go major off-loading...but we do like to go on some medium off-tarmac adventures, and also without worrying too much about the usual "lubak" we have in our city roads.

I only have limited budget and could not afford to maintain 2 cars yet. I currently drive a 2005 Altis 1.6E A/T. If ever the Fortuner plan pushes, I plan to just upgrade the shocks to OME with a 2-3inch lift maybe then change the tires to an A/T tire using the stock rims. This is pretty much the only upgrade plan I have and could afford. That will cover our medium off-tarmac trips and the Fortuner could accommodate 7 persons very well (yeah I know the 3rd row is a little cramped).

With that said...hope to get your honest opinion guys.

--- D4D engine issues for this 2005 batch engines???
    --- Pros and Cons??? (though the 2005 - 2012 Fortuner are almost the same car with the usual facelift done of course)
    --- Anything else I should watch out for?

Thanks TSIKOT!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    AFAIK the D4d issues isnt really that much of an issue on the 3.0.

However given it is a 6-7 year old vehicle already, do expect the following which are pretty much the same issues on any vehicle as it ages under normal wear and tear:
    - you may have to service the injectors sometime while it's under your ownership
    - leaks in the engine
    - turbocharger leak. 100K+ ito sa CASA since they'll have you change the whole assembly and when i consulted some turbo rebuilders, mas complicated pala yung mga bagong turbo pag nagkaroon ng tagas so rebuilds are not yet fool proof (although i saw someone selling at Sulit for half the price).
    - you'll have to check your A/T to make sure it's working well
    - check the 4x4 drivetrain to ensure its running well
    - Full service over of the unit (change all fluids, belts, water pump, filters, clean sensors, intake plenum, etc.)

If you want to mod it a little, try the Ironman suspension kits as well. Cheaper than OME and they perform well. Samahan mo lang ng magandang A/T na tires.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Magkano ba 05 Fortuner 3.0L ?

Not considering an 08 Montero Sport ? Hirap din kapag close to a decade vehicle na especially if CRDi because the injectors might be already faulty, which often happen around 100k kms.. can be earlier for abused units. :D

Idea naman Sir on how much it cost with this model because we are planning to buy also (plan lang )

Thanks.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    AFAIK the D4d issues isnt really that much of an issue on the 3.0.

However given it is a 6-7 year old vehicle already, do expect the following which are pretty much the same issues on any vehicle as it ages under normal wear and tear:
    - you may have to service the injectors sometime while it's under your ownership
    - leaks in the engine
    - turbocharger leak. 100K+ ito sa CASA since they'll have you change the whole assembly and when i consulted some turbo rebuilders, mas complicated pala yung mga bagong turbo pag nagkaroon ng tagas so rebuilds are not yet fool proof (although i saw someone selling at Sulit for half the price).
    - you'll have to check your A/T to make sure it's working well
    - check the 4x4 drivetrain to ensure its running well
    - Full service over of the unit (change all fluids, belts, water pump, filters, clean sensors, intake plenum, etc.)

If you want to mod it a little, try the Ironman suspension kits as well. Cheaper than OME and they perform well. Samahan mo lang ng magandang A/T na tires.
    Thanks for the usual quick replies vinj!

Yeah if ever I do go this route, will have the ride checked asap. Either via Toyota casa or Berrima to make sure the Engine,CRDI, Turbo and 4x4 are all OK. All fluids will definitely be changed asap.

Oh I see, will review Ironman suspensions also.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    Magkano ba 05 Fortuner 3.0L ?

Not considering an 08 Montero Sport ? Hirap din kapag close to a decade vehicle na especially if CRDi because the injectors might be already faulty, which often happen around 100k kms.. can be earlier for abused units. :D
    2005 to 2007 Fortuner are around 900k below ata.

Yeah have thought of the Montero Sport also...but I get tempted to wait for the VGT version pa kaka isip sa Montero. Lampas na sa budget for a 2nd hand Mid-SUV. Hehehehe. Kaya the 2005 - 2007 Fortuner is medyo pasok sa budget sa ngayon.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    I'm thinking of achieving this look / stance without the bull-bars, and stepboards. Something low profile, stock, rugged and can take on the rough stuff.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Kung used Fort 3.0 versus Monty Sport, i'd lean towards the Fortuner as i feel the suspension seems to be beefier versus the Monty when it's abused and i'm personally not comfortable with the seating position of the Monty. For crashworthiness, based on the wrecks i see on NLEX and SCTEX, the Monty Sport appears to keep it's structural integrity better during a rollover.

Try searching the website of Ironman Australia. We have a local distributor who operates out of Negros and does door-to-door with full warranty backing (he has a thread on the FS section of 4x4ph.com). We're happy with the shocks we installed on our LC80.
    Last edited by vinj; June 26th, 2012 at 09:22 AM.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Fort is decent... just don't roll it. The Montero Sport definitely has a better crash structure, since it's based on the Strada which rates higher than the Hilux in NCAP tests.

The Fort, however, is more fun to drive. Better steering with a quicker ratio, stiffer suspension, etcetera. And if you do go for a modified suspension, it should ride better and handle better at the same time.

Just review your finances and make sure you have enough to keep up with the maintenance and fuel costs. A 3.0 Fort may drink cheap diesel, but it drinks a lot of it in traffic. (5-7 km/l), and it uses more oil on oil changes.

Aside from the usual direct injection bugbears, I'd also check the condition of the transmission and the locking center diff... just to make sure that the previous owner didn't burn up the torque converter and clutch packs from hard driving and poor maintenance and that there's no damage from them using the center diff lock on road.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    Kung used Fort 3.0 versus Monty Sport, i'd lean towards the Fortuner as i feel the suspension seems to be beefier versus the Monty when it's abused and i'm personally not comfortable with the seating position of the Monty. For crashworthiness, based on the wrecks i see on NLEX and SCTEX, the Monty Sport appears to keep it's structural integrity better during a rollover.

Try searching the website of Ironman Australia. We have a local distributor who operates out of Negros and does door-to-door with full warranty backing (he has a thread on the FS section of 4x4ph.com). We're happy with the shocks we installed on our LC80.
    Thanks again...yes really do considering the Fortuner over the Montero Sport even if the specs of the Monty is more updated than the Fortuner. Preference nga talaga din noh...and I have friends at Toyota who can really help about service and parts.

Will check between the 2005-2008 models for the pre-owned Fortuner I am targetting.

I am willing to spend 100-150k extra (the lower the better syempre)...for the minor upgrades on the A/T Tires, Shock/Coils and the total inspection of the engine. Instead of spending premium on a brand new unit then upgrade pa ulit.

Ayaw ko kasi yung feeling na...."Argh gasgas!"..."OMG lubak!". Pag nagasgas OK lang, paayos nalang pag may extra budget.

Yep will review Ironman...great cuz I am from Bacolod, so I can have my relatives check on the dealer and have it shipped to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
HELP: Buying a pre-owned 2005 Fortuner V (4x4)