New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    well, the 4x4 diesel engine will allow you to refuel in the farthest places in the phil... plus it's got 4x4. but then, traction isn't all about how many wheels drive at the same time, you know. you can put all terrain tyres on a 4x2 and still survive (read: come out of the journey and not get stuck) driving on mud many inches thick.

so for the fortuner, i don't think it matters whether you get the diesel 4x4 or the petrol 4x2. both can take you to lots of places. they're near identical in trim levels.

the fortuner is also available in the gulf states. while there's plenty of diesel blenders there, i'm sure they're not all uniformly blended to excellence (just like here in asia). so don't pay too much mind on the problems of d4d engines here. by this time toyota would have had sorted that out, if there were any actual problems to begin with.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    hmmmmm gusto mo ng sakit ng ulo go for the d4d diesel......gusto mo peace of mind go for 2.7vvti

seriously i just bought 4x2 2,7 vvti fort nung sabado lng well ok naman sya and yun diesel natin d2 d sya filtered or refined kaya madumi baka ma bigla ka sa d4d pag tumagal. wag ka pumayag ma level mo yun jeep and buses sa mga usok baka sa emission test pa lng problema na yan.

kapit bahay ko dami tsikot mga 10 or eleven ata tsikot nya yun fortunner nya 2.7vvti

3. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    uu nga eh. ms gusto ko rin gas...juat saw a 4x4 d4d khapon sa edsa and mausok na tlga cya. bt kya ganun d pa ata refined ung d4d ng toyota.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    ^^^ano plate no? dun mo makikita kung anong batch siya. ako bihira makakita ng umuusok ng itim na fort pero ang matindi yung nakita ko dito sa may roxas district last year, bagong bagong white fort na paakyat ng tulay sobra sa belching parang sira talaga.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by XTO View Post
    ^^^ano plate no? dun mo makikita kung anong batch siya. ako bihira makakita ng umuusok ng itim na fort pero ang matindi yung nakita ko dito sa may roxas district last year, bagong bagong white fort na paakyat ng tulay sobra sa belching parang sira talaga.
    baka kung san san nagpapa karga ng diesel .....

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    For me, go for the 4x4. Hindi sa biased ang statement ko (our fortuner is 2008 4x4 D-4D na upgraded version, nabenta na yung 2005 2.5 D-4D 4x2 namin), pero madaming benefits of owning the 4x4 variant.

1. Malakas humatak (sabi nga ng isang motoring columnist ng The Philippine Star, the 3.0 D-4D engine really flies due to the huge amount of low-end torque)

2. The 4x4 system is full-time, meaning it's always on 4x4 mode, may transfer case shifter siya to set it on high or low mode. And you'll never know, baka kailanganin mo rin ang 4x4 in some circumstances. And when the road is wet, you'll have more traction due to the full time 4x4.

3. Lastly, fuel efficiency. Our 3.0 D-4D fortuner is averaging 7.8-8.2 km/li city driving, while the 2.7 VVTi averages 6.0-6.7 km/li. And you should also consider the price of diesel vs gas today. Diesel is P22.45/li in some areas of the metro while the cheapest gas (Unleaded E10) is P31.57 in some areas of the metro. When we full tanked the fortuner from near empty last tuesday, P1354.83 lang nagastos namin.

So, talagang worth it ang 300k difference. And dun sa D-4D problems, hindi kami nagkaproblema ngayon. We are using Petron Diesel Max and walang black smoke. Yung dating fortuner namin nagkaproblema yung D-4D nung gumamit kami ng Shell Diesoline Ultra pero nung nilagyan namin ng Petron Diesel Max naging problem-free na.

7. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by numbah5 View Post
    1. Malakas humatak (sabi nga ng isang motoring columnist ng The Philippine Star, the 3.0 D-4D engine really flies due to the huge amount of low-end torque)
    hehe...Probably he's the same guy who wrote in his column a few weeks ago, wishing that Toyota made a "sleeper" Innova by placing a 3.0li 1KD-FTV inside it. :D

2. The 4x4 system is full-time, meaning it's always on 4x4 mode, may transfer case shifter siya to set it on high or low mode. And you'll never know, baka kailanganin mo rin ang 4x4 in some circumstances. And when the road is wet, you'll have more traction due to the full time 4x4.
    An always "on" 4x4 system is not necessary. It wastes fuel unnecessary. Toyota should have done what Mitsubishi does with its Pajero, Montero Sport, Strada, Outlander, etc... by giving the user the option to engage 2WD or 4WD as needed.

Also Regrettably, Toyota failed to even include a LSD feature. Fortuner is the only one in its class without this feature. Ford Everest 3.0li and Montero Sport SE both have LSD.

3. Lastly, fuel efficiency. Our 3.0 D-4D fortuner is averaging 7.8-8.2 km/li city driving, while the 2.7 VVTi averages 6.0-6.7 km/li. And you should also consider the price of diesel vs gas today. Diesel is P22.45/li in some areas of the metro while the cheapest gas (Unleaded E10) is P31.57 in some areas of the metro. When we full tanked the fortuner from near empty last tuesday, P1354.83 lang nagastos namin.
    Before, I was also deciding on getting the 3.0 D-4D for its supposed fuel efficiency. But looking at the fuel consumption figures closely, one needs to travel more than 12,000 + kms per year for the next three to five years inorder to recover the Php 300,000 price difference. Diesel prices should also remain the same as today's prices.

In my case, I don't travel that much so it made no sense to get the V variant. 2.5 D-4D is out of the question bec. of the choking problems back then.

IMO, people who buy the V variant are more after the 4x4 feature and the 3.0li engine. People interested in absolute fuel efficiency would go for the 2.5 D-4D. People settle for gas for its horsepower, simpler maintenance, most affordable purchase price and none of the D-4D problems.

So, talagang worth it ang 300k difference. And dun sa D-4D problems, hindi kami nagkaproblema ngayon. We are using Petron Diesel Max and walang black smoke. Yung dating fortuner namin nagkaproblema yung D-4D nung gumamit kami ng Shell Diesoline Ultra pero nung nilagyan namin ng Petron Diesel Max naging problem-free na.
    Its a good thing that you and your family still have faith in Toyota's D-4D. I mean didn't your old Fortuner stall on you in the middle of the highway before? Just curious how much did you sell it and how many kms?
    Last edited by number001; March 12th, 2009 at 11:08 PM.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    For me 4X2 is sufficient enough for us since very seldom we go out of Town and plus we just get the 2.7Gas for our coding & Weekend Car averaging less than 5Kms/year. Considering iba acceleration ng Gasoline engine compared to Diesel

9. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    for me it's the 2.7 VVT-i. Iba tlga ung response ng gas engine. we have both the Fortuner 2.7gas and a Hilux 3.0 d4d and ung hilux usok and noisy na after just over 1 year and slower tlga response nya.

just wished meron Fortuner 4x4 gas d2 like sa thailand and dubai

10. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdale View Post
    for me it's the 2.7 VVT-i. Iba tlga ung response ng gas engine. we have both the Fortuner 2.7gas and a Hilux 3.0 d4d and ung hilux usok and noisy na after just over 1 year and slower tlga response nya.

just wished meron Fortuner 4x4 gas d2 like sa thailand and dubai

Hi Guys, patulung naman kung alin kaya yung mas ok in terms of value for money: (1.) Yung Fortuner 4x2 na 2.7 VVTi (Gas); or, (2.) yung Mitsu Monetro Sport na 4x2 na CRDi (Diesel)? Na-ayos na kaya ng Toyota yung bumpiness issue ng Fortuner with the release of the updated 2009 model Fortuner? Yung Mitsu naman, ok na kaya yung quality ng workmanship ng kotse nila?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Fortuner Gas 2.7 or Diesel 3.0 4x4 D4D?