New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    I know there are already similar threads about this but i needed more answers between the 4x4 diesel and 4x2 gas.

I'm about to buy the 2009 fortuner but after reading all the alleged D4D problems, i'm considering the gas version more. But still, i'm hard pressed to choose between the 2 models.

Just wanted to know your opinions which you'd prefer. Things to consider:

*Power/Performance
    *Price
    *Maintenance
    *Re-sale value

What are the other differences between the 4x4 and 4x2 gas? These are the only things i know:

-the 4x4 has the front air hood scoop
    -the 4x4 has back sonar by default
    -the 4x4 has of course the 4x4 functionality :p
    -others differences? like interior? i don't see any difference * the interior.

About the resale value, the 4x4 didn't justify much for the older forts.

The 4x4 and 4x2 gas has a 300k difference when bought brandnew. The resale value only has this 100kish difference when it should still be 300k.

Sample prices of older models (saw * sulit.com.ph lisings and others):

2005 4x4 model - 950k
    2005 4x2 gas model - 850k

See it only has 100k difference and it was bought with the 300k difference. Both has similar specs like mileage, condition, etc. Saw the units myself.

Hope you'll give me more ideas/inputs on this one.

Thanks so much!

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Go for the gas then...

3. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    The 300 thousand difference is indeed very hard to justify if your just using them on paved and semi-paved roads.

But if your constant traveling itirenaries involve long drives to provincial roads near mountainous terrains, there is much more security if your vehicle has 4x4 capability.

So? For city slickers, the 2.7 vvti will do.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    depends too on how many kms you travel in a year. go for the vvti for low mileage use like less than 10K kms or not more than 20K kms. a year. lots of power with quiet engine but if you want to stand out over other fort owners then go for the V.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    Go for the gas then...
    Will still have to read more inputs from other owners of the fort.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbo View Post
    The 300 thousand difference is indeed very hard to justify if your just using them on paved and semi-paved roads.

But if your constant traveling itirenaries involve long drives to provincial roads near mountainous terrains, there is much more security if your vehicle has 4x4 capability.

So? For city slickers, the 2.7 vvti will do.
    Yup, i'm mostly using it * city but i also go to the provinces from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by XTO View Post
    depends too on how many kms you travel in a year. go for the vvti for low mileage use like less than 10K kms or not more than 20K kms. a year. lots of power with quiet engine but if you want to stand out over other fort owners then go for the V.
    Yeah, that too. There's just too much "G" variants on the road lol.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Yup, i'm mostly using it * city but i also go to the provinces from time to time.
    Eh, saang probinsya? Kung hindi man lang nasa Sierra Madre, Mountain Province, etc. na malalim ang putik tuwing umuulan at pangit ang daan, puede na siguro ang 4x2.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Eh, saang probinsya? Kung hindi man lang nasa Sierra Madre, Mountain Province, etc. na malalim ang putik tuwing umuulan at pangit ang daan, puede na siguro ang 4x2.
    +1. 4x4 in the city is an overkill. Some 4x2s are even enough when going to most provinces.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Just the nearby provinces like Laguna, Tagaytay, Quezon Province, but can go as far as Tuguegarao or Bicol.

Quote Originally Posted by jeDi13 View Post
    +1. 4x4 in the city is an overkill. Some 4x2s are even enough when going to most provinces.
    Yeah I guess you're right. I'm 60% convinced to get the Gas version vs. 40% for the 4x4. Also considering the 300k difference of course.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    more inputs please, will get the unit tomorow or the day after.

sorry for the doublepost

10. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdale View Post
    Just the nearby provinces like Laguna, Tagaytay, Quezon Province, but can go as far as Tuguegarao or Bicol.

Yeah I guess you're right. I'm 60% convinced to get the Gas version vs. 40% for the 4x4. Also considering the 300k difference of course.
    mine is fort 4x2 i immediately drove it to region2 then to baguio and back to manila, with 6 passengers. during the travel i never shift to lower gear kasi kayang kaya naman kahit yung pinaka steep na road sa baguio.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Fortuner Gas 2.7 or Diesel 3.0 4x4 D4D?