New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2006
    Guys,

Newbie lang, Im Planning to buy 2nd hand car and I'm targeting Toyota Corolla '94-'96 GLI or XE.

Inputs naman po difference, Advantages & Disadvantages between the two.

TIA & God Bless.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    There's a huge difference between the 2.

engine ....

- The Corolla XE carries the 2E engine while the Corolla GLi carries the 4AFE.

power features ....

- The Corolla XE gets power steering, only while the Corolla GLi gives you power windows, keyless entry features, power steering and the like.

Exterior difference ....

- The Corolla XE gets the grey plate between the 2 tail lights while the Corolla GLi gets the dummy-light between them.

Displacement difference ...

- The Corolla XE's displacement is 1300cc ( 1.3L ) while the GLi gets 1600cc ( 1.6L )

E-10 Compatibility ...

- The Corolla XE which uses the 2E engine isn't compatible with e-10 while the GLi whose engine is 4AFE is compatible with e-10. However, if I am right there are several GLi models too who are fitted with 4AF engine, meaning they're not compatible also with E-10.

Bottomline ...

- It is best if you opt for the GLi ( 4AFE ) Corolla. It is hard to find for pure fuels out there. There is only a small number of gas stations in which their fuels are still pure. I myself owns a 1996 Corolla XL, and before I myself is having a hard time looking for non-blended fuels but thankfully, I found one and still up to now their fuels are still non-blended.

- If others are saying that carburetor engines ARE compatible with e-10. Well yes, there are some who are lucky enough who aren't experiencing something, but some are unlucky which in their first fill symptoms are already experienced. It's better be safe than sorry.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post

E-10 Compatibility ...

- The Corolla XE which uses the 2E engine isn't compatible with e-10 while the GLi whose engine is 4AFE is compatible with e-10. However, if I am right there are several GLi models too who are fitted with 4AF engine, meaning they're not compatible also with E-10.

Bottomline ...

- If others are saying that carburetor engines ARE compatible with e-10. Well yes, there are some who are lucky enough who aren't experiencing something, but some are unlucky which in their first fill symptoms are already experienced. It's better be safe than sorry.
    the GLI is compatible with E-10 gas. as long as your engine uses EFI then its ok to have it filled up with E-10 gas.

they say that carb engines cant use the E-10 gas due to vapor lock. i have no idea if thats true or what but what im sure of is that carb engines cant handle this type of gas due to valves corroding. hence, loosing compression.

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    Sirs Thank a lot sa info.

How About the fuel consumption between the two?

5. Join Date
    May 2012
    GLI 1.6 EFI engine and XE 1.3 carburator engine

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    8 year old post

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    well, if someone cares to ask,
    gli (efi) usually needs less care than carb.

Difference Corolla GLI and XE, Planning to buy.