New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Hi,

My car wouldn't start at all tonight. After turning off the engine earlier the engine still went as if it was still wanting to start and it was chugging.

The mechanic said the carburetor is the problem.

My question is how much would a carburetor cost?

I have a 1990 Toyota Corolla 1.6L. How bout buying a surplus carburetor?

Would anyone know any second hand parts store around the Las Pinas area?

Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    baka kaya pa ng repair kit?

3. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    I'm sorry, but what's a repair kit? I'm not too familiar with car parts...

Should I just mention to my mechanic to check the repair kit first?

4. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    kung di alam ng mechanic mu yung repair kit, well palet ka ng mekaniko.

afaik, repair kit ay yung piece by piece na pag dismantle then tignan kung alin ang sira at maayos. papalitan lang yung mga sira ng bago. gets? but if mas makakamura ka sa surplus na carb or sa brandnew then get one na lang as a whole.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    ok thanks for your help!

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Go to a mechanic who knows carbs or specializes in them. Marami nyan sa Kamias in Q.C.

When was the last time you changed fuel filters? One possibility is that dirt may have gotten into the carb. Have the carb opened up and if it needs an overhaul, purchase a Keyster Kit for it.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    I need some help with my Maxima's carb. Nuong andyan pa ako sa Kyusi e walang problema . . . I let the experts in Kamias deal with it. Pero ngayong nasa province na ako naka-base, it's really hard to find a qualified mechanic.

Here's the problem: ENGINE CRANKS BUT WILL NOT START 'COZ THERE'S NO GAS IN THE CARB! May gas naman yung car. No traces of flooding of gas. Fuel filter is replaced regularly (
    twice a year). I gas up at Petron all the time.

Any DIY tips? TIA!
    Last edited by jjmd3_787; April 18th, 2010 at 09:37 PM. Reason: tao lang po . . .

8. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmd3_787 View Post
    Here's the problem: ENGINE CRANKS BUT WILL NOT START 'COZ THERE'S NO GAS IN THE CARB! May gas naman yung car. No traces of flooding of gas. Fuel filter is replaced regularly (twice a year). I gas up at Petron all the time.

Any DIY tips? TIA!
    Maybe the fuel pump is due for replacement?

9. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CivicVTi View Post
    Maybe the fuel pump is due for replacement?
    Fuel pump is OK.

Anyway, I discovered the problem: busted gasket at the base of the carburetor body. All of the 4 bolts holding the carb body in place were loose. I had the gasket replaced already & all of the bolts tightened (I double-checked it).

Thanks for the help.

Carburetor Trouble