New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Hi again guys! I noticed this burned fluid smell everytime I do hataw mode with ECT Power On with my 2005 Altis 1.6E A/T. The smell is not strong naman, very mild lang...hindi rin nakakahilo or what.

Not naman like karera, meet-your-creator hataw driving....just for over takes at SLEX. Of course sometimes I floor the pedal and the RPM hits 4k-5k RPM then lowers to 3k and if needed, I floor it again and RPM goes up one more time to 4k-5k RP....Usually this flooring the pedal happens just within 15 secs or so.

Is this normal? I assume it was the AT fluid that I smell inside the car. Windows are closed with AC turned-on. But when I check my AT fluid level, normal naman. Walang bawas.

1.) But just the same, is the smell normal since the transmission is working at high RPMS?
    2.) Smelling it inside the cabin means the smell gets into the vents from the engine correct?

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    have you ever changed your ATF already?

3. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy_boy View Post
    have you ever changed your ATF already?
    Yes. Fresh 3liters of Toyota ATF Type-4. Changed it last Feb I think. But prior to changing it I was already able to smell it.

Personally I am thinking na normal lang yung bruning smell, kasi nga I put the transmission into extra work at 4k-5k RPM. But smelling it inside is another thing baka pumapasok lang yung smell sa vents....kaya I get to smell it.

What do you think?

4. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Had this on a few of our cars.

If you check the forums, marami ring nagrereport ng ganito on other car models as well.

Seems to be normal.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post
    Had this on a few of our cars.

If you check the forums, marami ring nagrereport ng ganito on other car models as well.

Seems to be normal.
    On A/T models only I guess? Maybe it just worried me and the others who had this issue cuz we get to smell it in the cabin, but if the fumes did not get in the cabin I guess nobody would have worried about it? Hehehehehe.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Nope. Experienced this too with a friend's Altis 1.6 M/T.

Burned fluid smell when doing hataw with ECT Power On --- 2005 Altis 1.6E A/T