New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Guys, nagawa na rin namin ang A/C switch ng Avanza ko. Woohoo!!!

Heto, gumawa na lang ako ng separate DIY thread...

Kumpletuhin ko na, from start to finish.

1. Open the bottom cover of the console, below the steering wheel:

2. Open the center panel.

a. Remove Ash Tray:

b. Poke the center of that circular clip (right side) behind

the ash tray well:

c. Pull out the center panel, starting from the BOTTOM (easier

approach, compared to the one from myavanza.net). Sorry, wala akong

picture, pero mas madali talaga kung uunahing tanggalin mula sa ibaba.

Promise!

d. Tanggal na ang center panel:

e. Mouse's eye view of the relevant portion of our project

(close-up of thermostat's back):

To be continued...

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    ... continued... part 2:

3. Reach up through the removed bottom cover so you can pull out the DEFOGGER SWITCH, by pressing both sides inwards to retract the locking clips:

4. Remove the Defogger switch so you can tap onto the middle of the big wires:

5. Isolate the 4th wire (middle of the 3 big wires) and expose a small portion...

6. ... so you can tap the new single wire (medyo napalaki ang wire na nabili ko, hehe):

7. ... the other end of which should go out the center panel near the lighter socket. This other end will connect to the the #86 terminal on the Bosch relay:

End of part 2...

To be continued...
    Last edited by woohoo; June 24th, 2008 at 09:43 AM.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Another option para sa Aircon thermostat DIY.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    ... continuation... Part 3:

8. Secure the connection to #86 terminal with electrical tape:

9. Don't forget to DETACH the defogger from the system:

10. Test the connection if it's working by touching the #85 terminal wire to the chassis ground (lighter plug's side) and switching the Defogger ON.

11. Pull aside the positive wire's insulation (clear plastic) to prepare for desoldering it away from the thermostat:

12. Solder it off:

... end of part 3...

To be continued...

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    ... continued...

Part 4:

13. Solder the relay's wire (#30 terminal) onto the thermostat where you desoldered the other wire from:

14. Solder the detached wire to the relay's #87 terminal and mount the relay onto the top screw of the thermostat dial:

15. ... and secure it with electrical tape:

16. Insert the #85 wire into the ground plug terminal of the lighter socket:

17. Insert back the lighter socket's modular plug to secure the connection:

... end of part 4....

To be continued...

6. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Plug back everything, restore the center panel, and the defogger switch. All done! It's working!!! Woohoo!!!

I hope this helps others who are interested in installing an A/C switch in their Avanza (or even other cars, for that matter!).

I did this because I have no need for the defogger, and the Avanza has no A/C switch. I don't want to wear out the thermostat dial by turning it this clockwise and counter-clockwise at least 4 times everyday just to be able to MAX OUT THE FANs with the compressor OFF (to blow away moisture from the system, which has been recommended so as to prevent molds from growing in there).

for clean install..pero sayang yung defoger sa likod...oh well, may rear wiper naman,e....

siguro others could use another defogger switch for a dedicated switch at install sa may katabi ng hazzard..

nice input, detailed...

8. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Does it mean that Avanza don't have on/off switch at the Fan Selector switch?

9. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    *woohoo...Congratulations on your latest project!
    Another usefull and informative contribution. Keep them coming!

10. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mile2 View Post
    Does it mean that Avanza don't have on/off switch at the Fan Selector switch?
    It does. If you don't turn the FAN on, the compressor will not work. To simplify, let's ignore the vents at the 2nd row. There are 2 dials, one for the Fan, one for the temperature (thermostat). The thermostat will not work if the FAN is off. The compressor will not work if the thermostat is at the OFF position.

Since I want to follow the recommended way of avoiding molds in the ducts, I want to turn off the compressor while the FAN is at MAX power before and after cooling the cabin. But I want to avoid unnecessary wear and tear on the thermostat dial, so I installed this A/C switch.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast