New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    no problem if yuo got the 2.5 fort..there are many ways to add some xtra power,,.my friend got one and we did some mods and it sure made a difference from a stock 2.5...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Perhaps you'd also like to test drive the 2.7L gas version and see which, for you and your driving style, performs better. As mentioned, though you'd have the least powerful, and perhaps per se the thriftiest engine, getting it up to higher speeds will require more effort of it, as compared to the more powerful, and perhaps thirstier-if-you-max-it bigger engine.

Reminds me of a 3.0L V6 vs a 1.6L 4 cyl (or similar) engine comparo. If you were sitting idle in traffic, the bigger engine would definitely be thirstier. But if you were cruising, say 100-120 kph, the 1.6L's engine would be straining more than the 3.0L's. So FC could be higher on the smaller engine.

I'd still go for the 4x2 CRDi Santa Fe tho. ;)
    Last edited by IMm29; March 7th, 2008 at 09:51 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    NO. its not underpowered if your going to use it as your everyday car.the hp figures may look like but its not at all. engine tuning and tweaking between a 2.5 fortuner is entirely different to a 2.5 innova, just like a vios to an avanza. the reason why I test drove the fortuner and in particular the 2.5L is because of the negative feedbacks i've read here.together with my wife and the sales manager, our friend, we tested the blue colored body, sprinted it, and drove it at normal city speeds. it just surprised me. theres a 1-2secs of sluggish acceleration the moment you stump the accelerator,then when the turbo kicks in,its done. i dont think that 2secs would mind you at all. my wife has the same positive comment even the issue of stiff suspensions were cleared from my mind, 29psi of tire pressure will be acceptable in my own opinion.the d4d problems is cleared too. she likes it as much as she wants it. the ladder on frame chassis ( if i sound correct) is your key to long term durability hands down against other competitors esp the koreans. I also agree with lytspid, an aftermarket modifications like air intakes, exhaust, and some ecu upgrades will do the trick. yes, go ahead get one for you sir. but if your not in a hurry at all you might want to wait for the 2nd generation probably next year. hopefully. good luck!

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rufboxster View Post
    NO. its not underpowered if your going to use it as your everyday car.the hp figures may look like but its not at all. engine tuning and tweaking between a 2.5 fortuner is entirely different to a 2.5 innova, just like a vios to an avanza. the reason why I test drove the fortuner and in particular the 2.5L is because of the negative feedbacks i've read here.together with my wife and the sales manager, our friend, we tested the blue colored body, sprinted it, and drove it at normal city speeds. it just surprised me. theres a 1-2secs of sluggish acceleration the moment you stump the accelerator,then when the turbo kicks in,its done. i dont think that 2secs would mind you at all. my wife has the same positive comment even the issue of stiff suspensions were cleared from my mind, 29psi of tire pressure will be acceptable in my own opinion.the d4d problems is cleared too. she likes it as much as she wants it. the ladder on frame chassis ( if i sound correct) is your key to long term durability hands down against other competitors esp the koreans. I also agree with lytspid, an aftermarket modifications like air intakes, exhaust, and some ecu upgrades will do the trick. yes, go ahead get one for you sir. but if your not in a hurry at all you might want to wait for the 2nd generation probably next year. hopefully. good luck!
    Thanks sir sa info. I'll be getting one this August between 2.5 Toyota Fortuner, 2008 Ford Everest 2.5 A/t, 2008 Isuzu Alterra a/t and hyundai SF 2.2 crdi 4x2 if by that time there will be a 4x2 SF with 2 airbags

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    2.5L is good... but why not opt for the 2.7L gas or the 3.0L 4x4?? kung tutuusin, halos magkalapit lang ang fuel consumption ng 2.7 gas sa 3.0 4x4... mine is a 2.7 and i can do 9-10km/L (highway), depende sa pagtapak ko... i remember nagpunta kami from pampanga to tagaytay, 1/4 fuel tank lang kinomsumo nya... smooth umakyat ang 2.7 compared sa 2.5 diesel... pero kung ang concern mo is yung price ng fuel, pick the 3.0 4x4 in my opinion...

6. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by c_cube View Post
    i think the fortuner 2.5d4d is not under powered but i think the only problem is that there are so many horror stories with that engine. i heard it was fixed already by toyota but there are still owners who said that they are still experiencing some problem with this engine. little advice, do more research about its engine and ask some owners about their experiences with this ride.
    and also with that money i opt to get the Hyundai SF 4x4, i think it has 2 airbags but the price is a little higher(its around 1.6M) but i believe the 200T difference between these two rides is worth the extra cash.

Hi, did you eperince any problem with the suspesion of the SF? how old is it?

7. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    kung totoong 102hp nga, its a no brainer, klangan pa ba imemorize yan? sa laki ng body nya hindi na klanga i test drive. yes underpower yan! anong subje subjective?! underpower! go get the 3.0L

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    I'd be better off with the 2.7G as the powerplant, smoother engine too being gas.

But really, it does depend on who is driving. A 2.5D4D will be a joy to drive for the soccer mom or 'pre-elderly' woman driver (like my mom) as far as fuel economy and runabout power is concerned. Oppositely, an aggressive guy with a lead foot would want more punch especially in overtaking. It can be frustrating

Tires. The stock ones will serve you well and good but if you must get softer sidewalls for more cushion, I suggest not to go beyond the standard size since obviously, much meatier shoes will add to the acceleration lag that you may complain about.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by titan979 View Post
    Hi, did you eperince any problem with the suspesion of the SF? how old is it?
    no problem with our sf's suspension. its a year and 4 months old. drives like new parin.

btw, we only got the 4x2 sf because we really dont need the 4x4 feature.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Get the 2.7G VVTi gas instead. Stronger engine, better acceleration, cheaper to maintain, quieter engine, less vibration, no reported engine defects, and importantly cleaner emission. Besides, diesel and gas have almost the same price sometimes unleaded gas is even cheaper.

Btw I already got one, my FC mixed city and hi-way is 7.8 km/li.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Is 4x2 Fortuner 2.5 d4d underpower???