New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    After all your feedback about my previous topic about on what SUV i will buy:

hyundai Santafe 4x2 crdi - Ok na sana kaso 1 airbag only with the price of 1.5m+ i think not worth it.

chevrolet Captiva 4x2 crdi - Ok din sana kaso 5 seaters lang although pwede palagyan ng 3rd row seats pero the problem would be aircondition na naman kasi kawawa naman mga nasa likod kung walang airvent. Pero yung price is worth it naman kasi 1.3m lang.

Ford Everest - Ok price at 1.3m lang sa 4x2 a/t nila kaso di ko type itsura ...

Toyota Fortuner 4x2 2.5 d4d - Sa tingin ko ito yung fit talaga sakin kasi 7 seaters sya tapos hindi problem aircon kasi may sariling aircon mga nasa 3rd row. Ang problem ko lang ay kung baka naman under power kasi pareho lang ng makina sa Innova and mas malaki pa ang fortuner. Although nakapag test drive na ako ng fortuner 4x2 diesel pero hindi ko naman mahataw kasi medyo traffic naman ... soo hihingi na lang aklo tulong sa mga may fortuner 4x2 2.5 d4d kung ano experience nyo. And the price is not bad at around 1.4m+.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I have the 2.7 VVT-i version.

Well here are the HP ratings of the three (3) variants of the Fortuner:

1.) 3.0 d4d = 163 HP

2.) 2.7 VVT-i = 160 HP

3.) 2.5 d4d = 102 HP

Even sa torque ratings, kulelat yung 2.5 d4d. Pero power is subjective, depende yan sa gumagamit at sa paggagamitan.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    i think the fortuner 2.5d4d is not under powered but i think the only problem is that there are so many horror stories with that engine. i heard it was fixed already by toyota but there are still owners who said that they are still experiencing some problem with this engine. little advice, do more research about its engine and ask some owners about their experiences with this ride.
    and also with that money i opt to get the Hyundai SF 4x4, i think it has 2 airbags but the price is a little higher(its around 1.6M) but i believe the 200T difference between these two rides is worth the extra cash.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Amongst ladder-frame SUVs, the Fortuner 2.5 has the best body control, but the weakest engine (on paper). But power is relative. You don't need much of it to get around, though overtaking on the highway will be understandably harder. The one big negative is the horribly stiff ride, which is uncomfortable for passengers in the back. If you're driving alone, it's not something you'll feel too much.

The Everest has a more powerful 2.5 TDCi engine, and fuel economy is slightly better, but the electronic throttle causes lag (sometimes takes a second or two to react) and the shocks are just a bit too soft, which makes it feel floaty, even from the front seat.

The Alterra rides butter soft and gets good economy, but it definitely feels old, and it's expensive for what you get.

The Sorento has a great engine (nice and punchy), but the ride is also way too soft for my tastes... giving it too much body roll and brake dive.

The Santa Fe is better than any of these ladder-frame vehicles on-road, but the car-based chassis might not be the best choice for going off-road. But like I've said elsewhere, if your idea of off-road is a rutted farm road with merely half-foot deep ditches, then it'll do.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    why won't you get the 4x4 3.0 D4-D? it's the most powerful engine of the fortuner, and gives you the security of a full time 4x4. and from what my friends are saying, the 3.0 D4-D is more fuel efficient than the 2.5 D4-D fortuner. they have been getting 8-8.5 km/l light footed city driving, while i'm getting 7.1-7.2 km/l on my 2.5 D4-D fortuner light footed city driving

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    aw ... bat naman po mas maaksaya pa yung 2.5? nako interesting revelation ah pag totoo man.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    it's because the engine's too underpowered for the Fortuner's almost 2 ton mass.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by numbah5 View Post
    it's because the engine's too underpowered for the Fortuner's almost 2 ton mass.

soo you are claiming na underpower nga ang 2.5 fortuner sir?

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Subjective kasi ang "being underpowered".

Compared to the SantaFe 2.2L (153hp/343Nm torque (190hp tuned)) and Fort V 3.0L (163hp), obviously, underpowered talaga ito since 2 tons din mga yun.

The anemic 102hp is enough to move it around naman. Takes some time lang. Then there's the prestige of Toyota. Siempre, people will automatically assume you are rich. hehehe.

For some people, as long as it moves, ok na. As long as it doesn't choke that is. Now that's a nightmare esp climbing a mountain range like Baguio (add to that a long train of cars at your back) or in the middle of nowhere.

Anyway, just buy what you can afford. ;-)

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by numbah5 View Post
    why won't you get the 4x4 3.0 D4-D? it's the most powerful engine of the fortuner, and gives you the security of a full time 4x4. and from what my friends are saying, the 3.0 D4-D is more fuel efficient than the 2.5 D4-D fortuner. they have been getting 8-8.5 km/l light footed city driving, while i'm getting 7.1-7.2 km/l on my 2.5 D4-D fortuner light footed city driving
    It depends on the driver and the situation. During our time with it, I got 7 km/l in traffic, while Carlocaraddict got just 5 km/l in Makati.

Unless you drive the same route, you can't compare consumption 1:1.

But yes, it's kind of underpowered for the weight. Either you take your time acccelerating, or you put up with poor consumption.

------

If it's really a Toyota you want, I'd rather get the top-of-the-line Innova. But if you're willing to shop around, I've already enumerated your other choices.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Is 4x2 Fortuner 2.5 d4d underpower???