New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Hi,

If I plan to purchase between the two, a 2003 Toyota Lovelife or a Toyota Vios 1.3E, which one will you prefer on the following conditions:

- Interior or exteior looks is not a concern. Just for daily transportation within 20 kilometers radius.
    - Resale is also not much of a priority, although might sell within 10 years.
    - Handling or speed or power is not also a major consideration, I drive very slow only.
    - Fuel efficiency is important.
    - Low cost of maintenance.
    - Frequency of breaking down of engine or other parts thereof compared to each other.

The Lovelife is 200K Pesos
    Vios is 300K Pesos.

Please share your thoughts, opiniions, reactions on those two models only.

Thank you.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    What kind of lovelife will you be getting? The ones which has 2E engine? -- carburetor? If so, get the Vios. However, if you will be getting the ones powered by 4AFE ( 1.6L ) then, I think you're better off with the lovelife. It's bigger & cheaper too.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    The carb type.
    Kindly expound more why vios over lovelife it its a carb type. And why lovelife it its a 1.6 4AFE?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by gsm View Post
    Hi,

If I plan to purchase between the two, a 2003 Toyota Lovelife or a Toyota Vios 1.3E, which one will you prefer on the following conditions:

- Interior or exteior looks is not a concern. Just for daily transportation within 20 kilometers radius.
    - Resale is also not much of a priority, although might sell within 10 years.
    - Handling or speed or power is not also a major consideration, I drive very slow only.
    - Fuel efficiency is important.
    - Low cost of maintenance.
    - Frequency of breaking down of engine or other parts thereof compared to each other.

The Lovelife is 200K Pesos
    Vios is 300K Pesos.

Please share your thoughts, opiniions, reactions on those two models only.

Thank you.
    Get the VIOS.

The Toyota Corolla AE111 (lovelife) is very cramped at the rear seats.

The Vios 1.3L also gets better fuel mileage. Corolla (carb) is not as efficient and has medium & long term problems when running on E10 gasoline. BTW, to save more on the cost of fuel, either car (vios and corolla) can be easily converted to Auto-LPG).

Maintenance is roughly the same, simply depends on which parts you will need to replace when they break or wear out. There are stuff that are expensive to fix like power steering on the AE111, the same is also expensive on the VIOS although the powersteering is electric. Also consider age, given that expensive stuff like the A/C compressor has a life of around eight to ten years before the seals can start to fail.

Given good maintenance, both the vios and corolla are comparable in dependability.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; July 30th, 2011 at 07:00 PM.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Is the Toyota Corolla AE111 (lovelife) just as almost the same with the E120 ninth generation?
    Im comparing a 2003 model which i presume is a 9th gen or it was not released in the Philippines. Is the 2003 lovelife still a AE111 8th gen model?

6. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gsm View Post
    The carb type.
    Kindly expound more why vios over lovelife it its a carb type. And why lovelife it its a 1.6 4AFE?
    I too have a corolla which is powered by the similar 2E engine. Economy isn't really commendable. I get roughly 7-8km/L only on city with frequent pedal on the floor driving. Partly equal with what I get on my FD - 8km/L on the City, 11km/L mixed -which has a relatively bigger engine. -- 1.8L

The Vios is more economical, not only because it is powered with a much more powerful engine ( 85hp vs. 75 ) but also the lighter body adds up to the advantage that you will gain. Also, not to mention, a more modern engine which is fuel injected too.

One advantage that you could get with the Corolla is that the engine's bay bigger which makes repair a lot more easier. Back seat is sort of small, though comparing to a Vios, it should be slightly better. I should know since I got to drive one before.

The 4AFE is better vs. the 2E because ...

a. It's fuel injected. Making you more confident with e-10, though with my over a year use of e-10 on my carb corolla, no problems have spurred out yet.

b. Economy is at par if not better than the 2E because of ( letter a )

c. Parts are way abundant. From the Corolla bigbody to the lovelife, this particular engine's being used already.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Get the VIOS.

The Toyota Corolla AE111 (lovelife) is very cramped at the rear seats.

The Vios 1.3L also gets better fuel mileage. Corolla (carb) is not as efficient and has medium & long term problems when running on E10 gasoline. BTW, to save more on the cost of fuel, either car (vios and corolla) can be easily converted to Auto-LPG).

Maintenance is roughly the same, simply depends on which parts you will need to replace when they break or wear out. There are stuff that are expensive to fix like power steering on the AE111, the same is also expensive on the VIOS although the powersteering is electric. Also consider age, given that expensive stuff like the A/C compressor has a life of around eight to ten years before the seals can start to fail.

Given good maintenance, both the vios and corolla are comparable in dependability.
    I've just replaced a seal on my Corolla.
    Roughly 1.5k for everything ( labor + parts )
    But the compressor is quite expensive if ever it breaks down. Replaced mine years back ( 2008? ) Forgot how much was it, though.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I'd choose the lovelife. I fiind the first gen vios rear seats too small. Parang good for 2 adults lang.

BTW why is the vios more expensive than the lovelife? Mas mahal pa sub compact sa compact???

8. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    On these premises, it seems that although I might save 100K on the initial purchase, in the midlle and long term, it will be an even playing field for both cars. So Vios would be a more likely candidate with a lesser headache perhaps.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy_for_you View Post
    I'd choose the lovelife. I fiind the first gen vios rear seats too small. Parang good for 2 adults lang.

BTW why is the vios more expensive than the lovelife? Mas mahal pa sub compact sa compact???
    Because it's newer and it uses a more modern engine.

Lovelifes which was released at the same time the Vioses were uses only a carb engine mainly because most of them are used as taxi cabs.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Lag posts!!!

Vios na lang kung carb pala yung lovelife.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
2003 Lovelife or 2003 Vios