New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    PH buys 2 new frigates from South Korea in P15B deal | INQUIRER.net

PH buys 2 new frigates from South Korea in P15-B deal

The Philippines has signed a contract with South Korean shipbuilder Hyundai Heavy Industries (HHI) for the building of two new warships in a P15.7-billion deal, the single most expensive project approved by the Duterte administration to date.
    In a statement, the Navy said Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana led the contract signing on Monday for the construction and delivery of the new frigates. The notice of award was received by HHI last month with the amount of $336,912,000 or equivalent to P15,744,571,584.
    The frigates, each displacing 2,600 tons, will be propelled by a combined diesel and diesel system that will give it speeds of up to 25 knots, according to a news release on HHI’s website.

Measuring 107 meters in length, the frigates will be armed with missiles, torpedoes, guns and electronic sensors that will allow it to conduct anti-air, anti-surface and anti-submarine warfare, the HHI release added.
    The ships are scheduled to be handed starting 2020.

Yey for the Navy!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by coiter View Post
    AFAIK, the terms of the bid for the 2 frigates was done during PNoy's term. It was initially awarded to an Indian company, GSRE who failed in the post-qualification of the bid process. That's why it was awarded to the Korean bidder.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the korean frigates are actually way better especially in terms of the armaments and systems that comes with the ships. the indian frigate's missiles are only short range asrocs while the korean missiles are medium range anti ship missiles. i was actually disappointed when the indian bid was declared the winner. buti na lang they failed to qualify in the post-bid.

besides, these 2 new ships comes with 2 older "gifts". who knows sk might just decide to make it 4, or 6. wish lang naman

4. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    the korean frigates are actually way better especially in terms of the armaments and systems that comes with the ships. the indian frigate's missiles are only short range asrocs while the korean missiles are medium range anti ship missiles. i was actually disappointed when the indian bid was declared the winner. buti na lang they failed to qualify in the post-bid.

besides, these 2 new ships comes with 2 older "gifts". who knows sk might just decide to make it 4, or 6. wish lang naman
    The "free ships" were actually found to be in vey poor condition. Only one was actually accepted and even that needed extensive work. Cost was almost the same as buying one.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2006

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Yatta View Post
    The "free ships" were actually found to be in vey poor condition. Only one was actually accepted and even that needed extensive work. Cost was almost the same as buying one.
    You mean the LSDs? Yup. I wonder what happened to the Pohang class corvette that was promised to PNoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Altis6453 View Post
    You mean the LSDs? Yup. I wonder what happened to the Pohang class corvette that was promised to PNoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Mulgae LCU was in really bad state and its still in overhaul. The Pohang corvette according to insiders is really in terrible shape. The thing with these "free ships" is while they are being given away, its still up to us to refurbish and them. The 2nd GDP frigate, Alcaraz, actually had to undergo an engine transplant, requiring her hull to be cut up, w/c is why she was delayed.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Yatta View Post
    The Mulgae LCU was in really bad state and its still in overhaul. The Pohang corvette according to insiders is really in terrible shape. The thing with these "free ships" is while they are being given away, its still up to us to refurbish and them. The 2nd GDP frigate, Alcaraz, actually had to undergo an engine transplant, requiring her hull to be cut up, w/c is why she was delayed.
    Yup. I don't really know why the PH solicits these "giveaway" military equipment anyway. I mean, if you need more modern and serviceable ships (especially surface combatants), its better to go for new builds.

As for the Alcaraz, the US Navy stripped her of her weapons and search radar since they intended to put it in their other ships. For the Gregorio Del Pilar, I think the PH Navy had to source out the weapon and radar systems separately thru public bidding. What can you expect considering that the PH "purchased" the ship for only US$ 10 Million?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Altis6453 View Post
    Yup. I don't really know why the PH solicits these "giveaway" military equipment anyway. I mean, if you need more modern and serviceable ships (especially surface combatants), its better to go for new builds.

As for the Alcaraz, the US Navy stripped her of her weapons and search radar since they intended to put it in their other ships. For the Gregorio Del Pilar, I think the PH Navy had to source out the weapon and radar systems separately thru public bidding. What can you expect considering that the PH "purchased" the ship for only US$ 10 Million?
    Some are solicited, others are offered (for goodwill and of course business come-ons like the Golden Eagles, the marine Amtracs and these frigates). Its also a way for them to rid of old hulls w/o scrapping/breaking them and since most refurbishment occurs in their country, then they get the business too. Then there's also our own serious need of ships. Building a ship takes a year or two, while refurbishing takes only a few months to half a year

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    In the picture posted above FFBNW means Fitted For But Not With. For the 8-cell VLS this means that there's a hole where it's supposed to go but there's nothing in there yet. The FFBNW systems will be installed in the future under another set of budgeting and bidding

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast