New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Hope they arrive combat ready... but knowing how everything needs to pass scruntiny, the ship may arrive with just the basics to get it from point A to point B...

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Monseratto View Post
    Hope they arrive combat ready... but knowing how everything needs to pass scruntiny, the ship may arrive with just the basics to get it from point A to point B...
    It looks like the AESA radar will come installed. We need eyes more than weapons in the WPS.

The Oto Melara is familiar to the PN. The choppers were awarded on a separate bid.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Monseratto View Post
    Depends on how one defines "combat-ready", but according to my understanding at Maxdefense blog, the ships will come to the Philippines with the CIWS, short-range AAMs, torpedoes, main gun, and short/medium range SSMs. The helicopters (w/ torpedoes) have already been awarded earlier this year.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Man those free ships are glorified junk. It's about time we look for "red" products for the whole AFP. It's not a big deal since a lot of our neighbors are doing it. It only shows that prior to this admin, the govt is takot ma offend si almighty uncle sam

Sent from my Lenovo PB1-770M using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by fulcrum325 View Post
    Man those free ships are glorified junk. It's about time we look for "red" products for the whole AFP. It's not a big deal since a lot of our neighbors are doing it. It only shows that prior to this admin, the govt is takot ma offend si almighty uncle sam

Going for "red equipment" may be harder than you think. Sure, it appears cheaper on paper. But you have to account for the fact that our AFP's capabilities were established using Western equipment for more than 50 years. Interoperability would be problematic. It would be hard to integrate current equipment sourced from the West with new ones sourced from the East. You would also wonder, what about availability of spares and munitions? Would there be a logistical difficulty?

With the change of equipment, you'd also have to wonder about change in military tactics and doctrine as well. If I were the AFP, I'd just slow down procurement and maintain the status quo until another administration takes over.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2014
    You got to start somewhere. Else forever na ganyan. Malaysia, Indonesia and even Singapore etc are both using them. Even other 3rd world countries . Spares? That's what they're known for. And adaptability is one of the traits of our AFP, that's why they're making good on whatever junk is given to them.

My point is, they're better start now, gradually yrs. Political will and change is needed. Beside I'm not saying to completely quit using Western he and tech.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Its not as simple as changing say a car. Going from Honda to Toyota. You also have to talk about logistics. At the simplest its like changing from a Canon SLR to Nikon.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Again I'm not saying it's that easy. Why box yourselves sa iisang vendor. And again you got to start somewhere.

also can you enlighten me on the logistic part issue?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    We are not limited to one vendor. We got/getting ships from Indonesia, Korea, US, Japan, Taiwan, even local ones and even tried to get from India, Spain, France and possibly Israel too. We are not limited to the US and Russia and even China (though even Duterte has reservations on quality from them) can join the bidding process, but they didn't did they? I mean if they were indeed cheaper, why didn't they put an offer/bid?

Part of the offer BTW with these new ships is the Philippines now owns the design, which opens the possibility that the next ships could be built locally or at the very least if the design is successful, other nation-buyers would pay the Philippines.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12