New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Can I use dish soap to clean only K&N air filter without the kit cleaning? TIA

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    OT
    Almost everything is disposable nowadays. Air filters of yesteryears were washable oil bath steel wool filled air filters then changed to dry paper element disposable folded accordion air filters. Now, back to washable air filters? Just like the pasador before the disposable sanitary napkins. Is technology going backwards?

3. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    OT
    Almost everything is disposable nowadays. Air filters of yesteryears were washable oil bath steel wool filled air filters then changed to dry paper element disposable folded accordion air filters. Now, back to washable air filters? Just like the pasador before the disposable sanitary napkins. Is technology going backwards?
    are k and n air filters made of steel and or aluminum?

4. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    pwede din ata if you use a mild kind of soap pero you need to oil it again w/ the k&n filter oil so might as well go w/ the cleaning kit na lang din

5. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Non detergent based yung pang linis ng K&N. Hugsan mo lang, wag mo sabonin. Mahirap alisin detergent sa filter. Bilhan mo ng filter wrap para may damit yung filter mo.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    If you were to dress a filter with a pseudo filter around it and oil the K&N filter, consider the restriction it will give your air induction system. It would put this indicator on the red all the time
    air filter restriction indicator - Google Search

7. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    I only use joy dishwashing liquid. Pabulain yung joy sa timbang may tubig just enough para dun knn air filter then babad for 30 minutes to 1 hour then banlaw ng maigi.

Then patuyuin but wag na wag ibiliad sa araw. Then apply singer oil. Good to go ulit.

So far 4 years na and still looks and performs as brand new.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Not meaning to spark a debate. I'm just airing an opinion and I fully respect peoples' decision for using or not using K&N filters.

Apparently it seems, that K&N filters, by nature of them being reusable, do save you a bit of money that would otherwise be spent on throw-away paper filters. But is it really lowering TCO? Is it providing better filtration?

Honestly, I haven't used them. I have considered using K&N filters but decided against it. I view them as performance drop-in parts that may marginally increase airflow but at the expense (it seems) of filtration ability. In my head, they're more adept at motorsports where engine performance is paramount while engine reliability and longevity takes a back seat. But for any other types of driving, especially daily-driven vehicles, OEM filters, to me, appears to be the better choice.

K&N Air Filter Review - Debunking the Myths (and why OEM is better)

9. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    ^
    I've posted the same concerns re: oiled filters several times on this board. It is also discussed at length in various forums. Not just K&N but most other aftermarket CAI as well. Another major concern aside from filtration ability is the possibility of loose oil being deposited onto your MAF sensor, eventually destroying it.

This is another good resource:
    "Cold-air intakes" and "high-flow air filter" FAQ - TDIClub Forums

Not really trying to dissuade people from using it as well, I just hope people who use it are better informed of the potential risks.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Just a thought:
    If you don't mind the intake noise, why not place the air intake next to the evaporator inside the car. 1. For cleaner air quality- the same air you would be breathing, 2. With the air conditioner on, the intake air temperature would be colder and more dense.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast