The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Hi!

I'm currently interested in buying the JLX AT 1.3L based on the ff factors:
    - budget
    - off road capabilities (since maputik and mabato ang daan namin pauwi bukod sa sira-sirang kalsada )
    - nasa flood-prone area kami
    - AT since laging trapik dito sa Las Piñas and I'm a newbie driver
    - budget

Mostly from work to home and back ko lng sya gagamitin, lalo na kung baha sa kalsada

Based sa mga nabasa ko kelangan ko bang palitan ung:
    - horn, sabi kasi nila masyado raw mahina
    - wipers, mas maganda raw ung silicone instead of plastic
    - speakers, poor quality raw?

And mukhang kelangan din magpa-sound deadening based dun sa isang review: "Getting up to speed requires hard revving of the noisy engine, and the din is joined by road- and wind noise to assault your ears from all angles."

Any advise po would greatly help! Thanks in advance!

2. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by r.s View Post
    Hi!

I'm currently interested in buying the JLX AT 1.3L based on the ff factors:
    - budget
    - off road capabilities (since maputik and mabato ang daan namin pauwi bukod sa sira-sirang kalsada )
    - nasa flood-prone area kami
    - AT since laging trapik dito sa Las Piñas and I'm a newbie driver
    - budget

Mostly from work to home and back ko lng sya gagamitin, lalo na kung baha sa kalsada

Based sa mga nabasa ko kelangan ko bang palitan ung:
    - horn, sabi kasi nila masyado raw mahina
    - wipers, mas maganda raw ung silicone instead of plastic
    - speakers, poor quality raw?

And mukhang kelangan din magpa-sound deadening based dun sa isang review: "Getting up to speed requires hard revving of the noisy engine, and the din is joined by road- and wind noise to assault your ears from all angles."

Any advise po would greatly help! Thanks in advance!
    Jimny is not a noisy car. Good small car IMO. Sounds naman subjective so I'll leave it up to you if papalitan mo.

Horn is a must na palitan, mahina yung mga stock eh, mas okay siyempre yung maririnig ka ng mga pasaway sa daan.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Thanks Ry_Tower!

Additional question guys, hanggang saan lang dapat nung height ng water ung pwedeng daanan? Baka kasi maging over-confident sa pag-drive sa baha

4. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Few points on the Jimny, it's old, it looks dull and it's small. Hauling people more than one regularly might be a pain in the ass since it only has two doors. It doesn't ride like a sedan, either. So if you're used to riding in a comfortable sedan, getting into a Jimny might needs some getting used to. Also, since it's a 1.3L Automatic, don't expect too much. It's not as efficient as you may think. Some claim they get 6-7km/L, while some others get 9km/L. Which is, for me, acceptable already. Considering the size, the probable weight and the puny but fantastic engine.

It's a good car, though. It's an offroader for people on a budget, and doesn't want too much space. Since it's small, it's easy to drive too. It's tall so you can be comfortable fording floodwater, however you might want to add some things to make it more... uhm... qualified. More on that later.

Little things such as wipers, horns and lights are easily replaceable. And cheap too. I suggest, for wipers, get the best that you can -- which is NWB. They last long. They wipe good and they are durable. For lights, get Philips Xtreme. For horn, get something loud such as Stebel Nautilus, Magnum or whatever horn pleases your ear. You need something loud since the Jimny is small. And those can be your life-saver as well. Speakers and deadening can be done at a single shop, since audio installers do it. Make sure though that you go to a reputable shop. You don't want your electricals to be fried on the first month of ownership.

Now on to the off-road setup. Since it's the rainy day it might be best to do the modifications few days, or weeks after you go out of CASA. First thing to get, aside from the ones mentioned above are ARB bumpers. They're steel, and hard. So you don't need to worry about bumping onto something immovable. While you're at it, get those big round foglamps as well. The little ones you have, or might have, won't do any help.

You'll end up with something like this...

Right after, get a snorkel. If you want to be confident on fording floodwater, a snorkel is a must. Cheapest is around 10k, and they're good. With this, you can ford any flood you want safely as long as the water doesn't reach the snorkel's mouth.

Then upgrade your tires. Yup. Get something that will be suitable on both dry and wet pavements. If you go through bad roads often, don't expect your stock tires to last long.

I suggest get rear foglights too. They add visibility during downpour. Do note that have a separate switch for it, so you'd just use it when needed.

Getting a lift kit is up to you. If you think the stock height of the Jimny is lacking, a 2-3" lift would already suffice. Also the roof carrier, you might be carrying things bigger than what the Jimny's interior can suck in. It's just 100 pesos additional on your registration anyway

After all has been done, you'll end up with something like this...

Goodluck.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Back seat leg room is non-existent. Think of it as a two-door sports car without the sports and the car and on stilts

6. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    Back seat leg room is non-existent. Think of it as a two-door sports car without the sports and the car and on stilts
    pwede for kids and baby ang likod. haha.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    ^ sa casa ba yang 2nd to the last pic? nagbebenta sila ng nakasetup na for off-road?

8. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by r.s View Post
    Thanks Ry_Tower!

Additional question guys, hanggang saan lang dapat nung height ng water ung pwedeng daanan? Baka kasi maging over-confident sa pag-drive sa baha
    Pinakamalalim na bahang naidaan ko yung stock MT jimny ko was I guess as high as the bumper. Halos umakyat ng hood yung tubig while I was fording that at least 5-meter stretch of road dito sa Valenzuela. Success naman, although takut na takot talaga ako.. Just 2 weeks ago, halos knee-deep flood din dinaanan Nya. Buti short stretch Lang din. And yung mga usual Baha sa Abad santos sa Manila, sa R10 (pier), monumento, mani Lang sa jimny.

Re: parts, magpapalit ako ng clutch. Sa Olympia na Lang ako bumili. Parang 2k ang tipid for the set compared to the price quoted by the casa. And apparently, yung clutch Nya is the same as that used for the samurai.

My jimny, btw, was bought b/n in November 2002.

EDIT: am not saying na porke kaya hanggang bumper, sige Lang nang sige. Mas maganda pa rin na Kung pwede, pababain muna yung tubig.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    About the only necessity in the set-up is the snorkel. Get the mud tires on a spare set of rims if you plan to do recreational off-roading, but HT tires and a locked diff can take anything you might encounter on the road... water, mud, gunk... Getting AT tires means sacrificing handling and braking abilities, especially on wet (not muddy) roads. and it'll kill the already poi fuel economy...

10. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    bought the 1.3 AT last may. palit ako busina since isa piraso lang na pang motorsiklo pa. wipers tama NWB madami sa concorde all sizes pero tsaka mo na palitan pag upod na . speakers are sanyo ata? pero ok naman may nakaabang na na wires pang rear installation Installation of the rear speakers on the Suzuki Jimny - DanBP.org . sound insulation? wala insulation ang jimny puro plastic panels lang tapos kaha na. tahimik naman. maririnig mo lang huni pang umaandar. pero solido talaga pang- ilalim kahit shoot mo sa lubak wala kalampag. I get 6-7 kms/L . pag sa baha hanggang half tire ko pa lang na testing e pero malamang knee deep floods kayang kaya. yun jimny sa 2nd to the last pic sa ibang bansa yan right hand drive e. pero ang ganda ng setup nyan.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast