New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2005
    When buying brand new tires, you will notice that there are red and yellow dots in the sidewall. I presume that the said dots are guides for the location of the "pito" of the tires. But why there are two of them and color coded? Enlightenment please. Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Well, your correct on that one. The red dot is a uniformity mark. This marks the tyres high point - the spot where the tyre is highest. The yellow dot (sometimes it's a yellow stripe) is the marks heaviest spot on the wheel. It's also known as a 'weight mark'. You aligh this mark to your air valve or PITO.

Them dots you see denote the uniformity and weight of the tyre. Tyre manufacturing is not exactly a precise/perfect process. AFAIK, it's impossible to manufacture a tyre that is perfect in shape, perfect in weight and perfect in dimension. This has to do with how the steel belts inside the tyre are manufactured and how the rubber is moulded. The tyres in the rubber would have a bit of deformation once the rubber has cooled down after manufacturing - and this bit of deformation gives the tyre a wobble. The tyre manufactures then use a process to determine where the wobble is. Once they find highest point of the wobble, they mark it with red. This process also determines where the tyre's heaviest point is. Once they find it, they mark it with yellow.

Hope this helps.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Amazing how often I see brand new cars not having those dots aligned. hehe

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by theveed
    Amazing how often I see brand new cars not having those dots aligned. hehe
    Pang wholesale kasi eh

5. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Mukhang di alam ng mga tire installers yung purpose nung dots. From my experience, 1 out of 10 lang ang nag-aalign nung yellow dot sa pito. Yung iba naman sa red dot tinatapat.

may ganun pala! sa susunod ngang palit ng gulong papaayos ko yan...

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    hmmm interesting bit of knowledge

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    if the yellow dot/spot is the heaviest part of the tire, di ba dapat it should be placed at the opposite side against the pito to balance it?
    Signature

9. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Automahn
    Mukhang di alam ng mga tire installers yung purpose nung dots. From my experience, 1 out of 10 lang ang nag-aalign nung yellow dot sa pito. Yung iba naman sa red dot tinatapat.
    or baka naman sinasadya. para mas maraming weights gamitin sa balancing.

10. Join Date
    May 2005
    and this is why bilib ako dito sa forum na ito .. you learn something new everyday ..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
What is the purpose of Red and Yellow dots in a brand new tires?