New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    can someone clarify how tire measurements are read.

for example stock tire of navara is 255/70/16.

from my understanding, 255 refers to the tire width - meaning yung lapad ng gulong from one side to another? does it contribute to the ride height?

next is 70 which refers to tire sidewall height - is this the one responsible for the ride height? i mean are 255/75 tires taller than 255/70? so if i wanna maximize my ride's height, i should opt for a bigger number here?

well 16 refers to the wheels these tire are mounted on. no need to clarify anymore. TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by m05tw4nt3d View Post
    next is 70 which refers to tire sidewall height - is this the one responsible for the ride height? i mean are 255/75 tires taller than 255/70? so if i wanna maximize my ride's height, i should opt for a bigger number here?
    Yes.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    The '70' is the height profile from bead to tread and it is the % of the tire width. So the height from bead to tread is 70% of 255 = 178.5mm.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    make sure you use the tire calculator when up sizing or downsizing your stock tires.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    going wider (265) while maintaining the profile (70) will also increase the ride height since the overall diameter of the tire is increased. you can also go by maintaining the width (255) and increase the profile (75) to increase the height.

so if you really want to maximize the ride height and the wheel well can accommodate it bigger tires, then move a notch in width and profile.