New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Magandang combination ba for lahar and mud running?

Ilang gulong ba ang lalagyan ng chains? Which tires?

Magkano na ba ang chains ngayon?

Napaisip lang ako bigla. hehehe.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    23Aug2003 (UTC -7)

I really am not sold into using tyre chains. I have 'em both for my 33" and 35" tyres, and I've only used chains on my 33" tyres, on snow and ice. I've had a lot of mud runs, but I've been happy with the performance of my mud tyres and winch :-)

Tyre chains are a big hassle to install, re-tighten, remove, store, and to rust-proof. I'm also very wary of chains breaking and destroying my brake lines and everything in the wheels. The heavy duty ones I know cost about US$100 per pair.

If you have to have 'em, put chains on all four wheels.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Nabasa ko sa Overlander Magazine, tire chains are supposed to be placed on front tires. Once they come into traction, it also paves way for the rear tires.

Sabagay, medyo hassle nga ang tanggal kabit nito, kung iiwan mo naman nakakabit, parang kalesa ang tunog sa tarmac. :D

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    wala pa akong nadinig na nag tire chains sa lahar
    lahar is considered as soft/loose sand
    MT or AT pwede na.
    pang jungle base siguro ang tire chains.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    with AT tires ang alam ko mas ok siguro kung all 4 tires... yun nga lang, hassle nga kung kelangan mo na tanggalin, and I'm sure you'll install them pag sobrang muddy, so sobrang messy pa...

but they're cheaper than MT's... diba? :D

6. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    they are not as good as MT's. Nong PORCI clinic, may nakita ba kayong nabalahong extreme MT tires? Open diff pa kami. except for the big big rescue vehicle, palagay ko locked na yun. Yung monster hilux di rin na stuck yundiba. ito na rin yung proof dun sa isang thread noon about lockers or tires.

tire chains will help but only to a point. big hassle talga, if you keep it on naman sisirain na kalye gulong mo din. and may speed rating ito. depende sa chains. I think mas ok pa yung studs na pwede ikabit dun sa mga butas sa tread ng mga MT tires.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by Bubbles
    they are not as good as MT's. Nong PORCI clinic, may nakita ba kayong nabalahong extreme MT tires? Open diff pa kami. except for the big big rescue vehicle, palagay ko locked na yun. Yung monster hilux di rin na stuck yundiba. ito na rin yung proof dun sa isang thread noon about lockers or tires.

tire chains will help but only to a point. big hassle talga, if you keep it on naman sisirain na kalye gulong mo din. and may speed rating ito. depende sa chains. I think mas ok pa yung studs na pwede ikabit dun sa mga butas sa tread ng mga MT tires.
    naka 44" ata yung green BJ40 pick-up
    open diff nga siya but with LSD.

naka 38" naman yung hilux ni willie.

may nabalahong naka M/T
    si freeman diba?

8. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    hindi naman siya naka swampers diba. was talking about rigs with extreme MT's such as swampers, simex, etc.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    My opinion on chains is that they are better than any extreme M/T when the mud gets really nasty. I have had both Siimex and Super Swammpers. It is true that they are a hassle to install and even messier to remove but if it's a choice between getting stuck inside a trail or getting home. I will place my bet on chains. I have used these on many occasions when even my swampers couldnt get through and they improve the traction significantly. I have to admit that it is really annoying when you get to pretty dry dirt trails because it clatters and rattles alot. But like I said, when the terrain gets really nasty, you'll be glad to have chains around. Just make sure they fit properly on your tires so they dont come off and use the chain stays (or even bungee's) to keep them in place.

Tire Chains + A/T Tires