New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    hi,

i am doing my underchassis repair work in my garage. i don't have access to power tools nor air tools and i don't have plans on bringing my car somewhere to have it done by someone else. i want to learn. i have the basic tools necessary such as jacks, sockets (1/2 and 3/4), etc... all i don't have are the power/air tools

according to the specs of my car, the axle bolt is torqued up to 203 ft-lbs and it hasn't been taken off for the past 9 years ever since the car came out of the factory (first owned).

to take out this axle nut, i have two options. i need your suggestions on how it can be done the best way.
    - one is to loosen it with the car on the ground and wheels on. i have second thoughts on this because it might have a negative impact on the wheel bearings, won't it?
    - second is raise the car up, remove the wheels and take a pry bar and put it between the "sleeved" lug nuts (for protection) witht eh other end on the ground. this is to prevent axle movement. the second thoughts that i have on this is, will it break or split the lug nuts? by sleeving i can protect the threads, but what about the lugs themselves?

any suggestions on what to do based on how you have done it?

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by spyghost View Post
    hi,

i am doing my underchassis repair work in my garage. i don't have access to power tools nor air tools and i don't have plans on bringing my car somewhere to have it done by someone else. i want to learn. i have the basic tools necessary such as jacks, sockets (1/2 and 3/4), etc... all i don't have are the power/air tools

according to the specs of my car, the axle bolt is torqued up to 203 ft-lbs and it hasn't been taken off for the past 9 years ever since the car came out of the factory (first owned).

to take out this axle nut, i have two options. i need your suggestions on how it can be done the best way.
    - one is to loosen it with the car on the ground and wheels on. i have second thoughts on this because it might have a negative impact on the wheel bearings, won't it?
    - second is raise the car up, remove the wheels and take a pry bar and put it between the "sleeved" lug nuts (for protection) witht eh other end on the ground. this is to prevent axle movement. the second thoughts that i have on this is, will it break or split the lug nuts? by sleeving i can protect the threads, but what about the lugs themselves?

any suggestions on what to do based on how you have done it?

spyghost,
    with torque of 203 lb/ft when it was not rusted means more torque required to break it loose now with the rust. it is recommended you use penetrating oil like knock'er loose or pbblaster. leave the weight of the car on the weight for countertorque. then use a breaker bar of 1/2 or 3/4 inch square drive and a thick wall six point socket or impact socket and apply gradual, constant force on the handle of the breaker bar. you might want to heat the axle nut with a propane blow torch prior to spraying the penetrating oil (for better penetration hehehe). turn the socket back and forth a few times after it has broken loose. the rest is piece of cake.
    jick

3. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    if you don't have the proper tools, you may want to use a hammer and a chisel to break it loose and use a visegrip later to remove it.

it's not proper but that's the only way if not equipped.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    spyghost,
    with torque of 203 lb/ft when it was not rusted means more torque required to break it loose now with the rust. it is recommended you use penetrating oil like knock'er loose or pbblaster. leave the weight of the car on the weight for countertorque. then use a breaker bar of 1/2 or 3/4 inch square drive and a thick wall six point socket or impact socket and apply gradual, constant force on the handle of the breaker bar. you might want to heat the axle nut with a propane blow torch prior to spraying the penetrating oil (for better penetration hehehe). turn the socket back and forth a few times after it has broken loose. the rest is piece of cake.
    jick

to avoid and prevent damage to property and to the tool and avoid injury,
    use the right tool and use it properly. do it right or don't do it at all. brute force only damages your parts and give you a hard time

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    no worries here... these kinds of bolts just give me a hard time determining how to prevent their rotating bodies from turning while cracking.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by spyghost View Post
    no worries here... these kinds of bolts just give me a hard time determining how to prevent their rotating bodies from turning while cracking.

spy,
    leave the tire on the ground and have somebody apply the service brakes while you crack it.
    jick

suggestions on how to remove high torque axle nut