New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Immobilizers do work.

Notice how LOW the carnapping figures are for immobilizer equipped vehicles (like the Rav4, Bimmers, etc.) though carjacking is another thing.

Though yes - a steering wheel lock adds even a bit to being an anti-carnap deterrent.

Btw - most cars have a built-in lockable steering wheel. How effective are these?

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    I trust the built-in lock on the steering wheel, the car alarm and/or immobilizer, and the steering wheel lock in a package..... Knock on wood...

:starwars:

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    Yep, the key is to layer your security systems. Parang treasure hunt. Pag nakuha yung isang key, kelangan pa hanapin yung isa to start the car. Of course, pointing out the obvious here is like telling them where to look. Better to be discreet when giving out info like this on the internet (it's not yet that specific...)
    Thanks for reminding me. Almost got carried away.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Although I make sure to park in guarded spaces, I still carry a steering lock all the time. Yun nga lang, I rarely get to use it. I still rely primarily on the built-in lock and car alarm, as well my ride's image of being a not so glamorous people hauler.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Wala namang foolproof security device. But the more devices you have (termed 'layering'), the less attractive your ride becomes to thieves.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    Pipz gumagamit ba kayo nito?
    Yes, we also use these to supplement the car alarm/immobilizer.

7. Join Date
    May 2005
    Yup, gumagamit din ako nyan. Let's say may katabi akong car sa parking lot, maybe a year older than mine in model. Tapos parehong kumikinang ang mga pintura. Sakin may steering lock, yung isa wala, tingin ko thieves would be more inclined to pick the one without the steering lock even if my car is the newer of the two.

Of course layering is the best. Lagay ka rin ng ahas sa loob, ala hummer sa Gone in 60 secs, hehe..although nakuha pa rin yun auto.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    I used that a lot when I was in San Diego, but not here in Washington. But to make sure that we have a ride home when we go to downtown Seattle, I still use the "The Club" plus I usually park next to nicer looking car which give car thief better choice.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I don't use an alarm but i have a steering lock (SOLEX din) as a deterrent... then i just pay for comprehensive insurance every year. I just believe that if they want to steal it, they will... Immobilizers are one of the more effective anti-carnap devices (carjacking will be different though).

10. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Basta ang alam ko lahat ng anti-theft devices/tactics ay para lang maghanap yung would-be thief ng mas madaling target. If the thief really wants it, he can nick it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Steering lock users..