New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    We always throw around the phrase "this car has great handling" or that "it's a very engaging drive".

Personally, I like it when care possess such qualities, because every now and then I take my car through spirited drives when out of town or during a late night run home when the metro streets are empty.

But for 99% of the buying public out there, what does it mean?

What the hell does it mean to them if the Mazda 3 has responsive steering and a balanced suspension, if they only drive it around the gridlocked metro roads or on straight, boring highways?

All of the cars with great handling (Suzuki Swift, Mazda's entire lineup, Ford Focus, etc etc) have been eclipsed in terms of sales by cars such as the Vios, Altis, Camry (practically the entire Toyota lineup) which have soft rides and generally un-sporty handling.

In fact, does handling really even matter?

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    imho, depends on your route, your priorities and your driving style.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    imho, depends on your route, your priorities and your driving style.
    nope, just because that's your choice doesn't mean it's sporty. sporty handling means a car that is stable on high speeds and cornering plus the power to weight ratio and the balance of the car. from experience your average sporty handling cars are the mazdas and subarus. just because a car goes fast on straights or suits your driving style doesn't mean it's sporty. people often mistake my explorer saying it's handling is sporty, but the truth is it isn't. yes the new explorer handles like a sedan and handles pretty well for an SUV, but it's not anywhere near sporty handling.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Even if you drive around in the metro it doesn't mean you won't appreciate such qualities.

Does handling really matter? To some yes. But maybe not to most. Try persuading your mom on the basis of handling and see how she takes it

5. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    A sporty car should have an enjoyable sensation of confidence with its handlingwhile travelling quickly. A sporty regular car (BMW 3 series, Mazda 3, Subaru Impreza, etc) tend to give the driver confidence by communicating through the steering while being pushed whereas a wallowy non-sporty car (Camry, old Altis, etc.) tend to give less feedback and confidence. Sporty cars are enjoyable to be driven quickly because their accuracy and feel, that is why BMWs are marketed as the "The Ultimate Driving Machine" because a bog standard 316i is actually enjoyable to drive.

A point we thought of before is a theory that sporty cars are safer in the right hands. Of course, a boy from Pampanga is not one of those right hands. A sporty car can change directions well and brake quickly, giving the driver more of a chance to evade an accident. A sporty car would be able to make a drastic maneuver such as changing multiple lanes with precision rather than a heavy, wallowy car which will just understeer straight into an accident.
    Here is a Porsche dodging an accident

A simple point that needs to made is there is non such thing as a sporty suv or pickup. An explorer or cayenne is probably going to better than its rivals in terms of handling but it still isnt a sporty car because its handling is massively comprised by its design and no amount of engineering can mask that fact.

This is a great article by Autocar
    What exactly is a driver's car? | Autocar

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Yes, yes, we all know what a sporty car is. Because we're the 1% of the market.

To the 99%, I don't think it matters. Which is why Mazda will never hit the mainstream. Closest they got was the gen1 Mazda 3 but more because it looked good rather than because it drove well.

I just find it a pity since the market's preference for comfortable wallowy cars will eventually drive to extinction the mainstream driver's cars.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

7. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    A good handling vehicle does not necessarily mean it has sporty handling. It could mean a well balanced suspension between great handling and comfort. Sporty suspensions usually compromise comfort over handling.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Notice how the Honda Civic became "boring" over the years. It needed to keep pace with the Toyota Corolla in their race to the top of the sales chart. Most car reviews rave about the new Mazda 3 but look at where it is in the sales charts compared to Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Cars nowadays (at least in the PH) are a necessity. See how the sales of subcompacts rise compared to the 90's and early 2000's. An iphone/ipod ready is more preferred than sporty handling. Fuel efficiency over horsepower. Aesthetics, than performance.

You have to admit, with all the heavy traffic, where else can you appreciate the power and handling of your car?

As for me, I'd stick with my gas guzzling but comfortable mid size sedan, and an old underpowered but great handling entry German level sedan for now.

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    Its a factor when choosing a car to buy, but it gets trumped by, perceived durability, availability of parts, perceived fuel consumption, warranty duration, size, price and promos and of course resale value.

I mentioned perceived because the general public has already formed a general opinion on things. O basta -------- matibay yan madami piyesa sa banawe..(kahit puro recall). O kaya, O basta dos litros takaw sa gas yan, wag ka bibili niyan. Tama lang 1.6 o 1.5. Kahit naman kalaki ng kaha at kabigat.

And most of the time they end up buying what others want them to buy, not what they really want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Sporty Handling - what does it mean to the average Juan?