New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Ano po kaya dahilan nito?May konting incline kasi sa parking space ko.After stopping, with my foot still on the brake pedal, I put my A/T to Park then I engage the parking brake then release the brake pedal.After releasing the brake pedal may konting slide bago mag-full stop.Give or take a few inches na slide.Had my rear brake pads changed last January lang.Ano po kaya problema nito?Masisira po ba transmission pag ganyan?Pakiramdam ko din ngayon kapag free wheeling lang sasakyan parang may extra na pumipigil sa kanya.Parang may konting kapit pa din sa brakes.Di gaya ng dati na smooth yung takbo pag free wheeling lang.Related kaya itong dalawa?Salamat po.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCoder1 View Post
    Ano po kaya dahilan nito?May konting incline kasi sa parking space ko.After stopping, with my foot still on the brake pedal, I put my A/T to Park then I engage the parking brake then release the brake pedal.After releasing the brake pedal may konting slide bago mag-full stop.Give or take a few inches na slide.Had my rear brake pads changed last January lang.Ano po kaya problema nito?Masisira po ba transmission pag ganyan?Pakiramdam ko din ngayon kapag free wheeling lang sasakyan parang may extra na pumipigil sa kanya.Parang may konting kapit pa din sa brakes.Di gaya ng dati na smooth yung takbo pag free wheeling lang.Related kaya itong dalawa?Salamat po.
    is your rear brake, drum or disc? kung drum your using brake shoe at kakapalit mo pa lang nung January kung slightly use ang car sigurado na hindi pa lumalapat ng husto ang brake shoe kaya may slippage when you used the hand brake or u need to adjust the cable ng hand brake.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Bleed and adjust the handbrake cable bro. Madali lang naman ito.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCoder1 View Post
    Depending on the year of your vehicle, most new cars have self adjusting hand brakes that will adjust itself with the constant pulling and release of the handbrakes. It doesn't matter if your car is rear disk brakes or drum as the hand brakes use brake shoes anyways. Try pulling and releasing the hand brakes a few times to get it to adjust while you are parked. The few inches of travel that the vehicle moves is normal because you are releasing the releasing brakes and letting the hand brakes hold the car. The tranny shouldn't break as long as you are not just putting it in park w/o the hand brakes in which case the stress of holding the car is on a pin on your tranny only which could break and let your car roll down the incline. When you say freewheeling are you putting the tranny in neutral?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    ... When you say freewheeling are you putting the tranny in neutral?
    Hindi ko po nilalagay sa Neutral yung A/T when freewheeling.Nabasa ko kasi sa isa sa mga threads dito na nakakasira ng A/T pag nilagay sa Neutral habang tumatakbo ang sasakyan.What I usually do when approaching a red traffic light is to let go of the gas pedal while still a bit far from the intersection so that the vehicle will just roll to a stop if it can.That whole time nakalagay lang sa Drive yung A/T.Brake na lang konti kung kailangan talaga para huminto ng tuluyan.Pag nakahinto na saka ko lang nilalagay sa Neutral.Pakiramdam ko ngayon mas mabilis sya bumagal kahit di pa ako umaapak sa brake.Pag paandar naman galing sa stop pakiramdam ko para din may konting konti na friction pa sa brake pads tsaka dics kaya di ganun ka-smooth pag arangkada kahit di na ako nakaapak sa brake pedal.Salamat po ulit.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    I think that's normal kung paatras siya at kung drum brakes sa likod.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    cable adjust lang po sa handbrake yan ..

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Technically, hindi nakakasira when you shift to neutral, as long as you coast to a complete stop. Then you can shift back into D and be on your merry way. I just found out that, along that note, rev-matching won't work because the transmission automatically selects the lowest gear first and work its way up. So even if you match the revs per given speed, it will still select first, have the huge RPM discrepancy, and force its way to whichever gear has the least resistance if you're in D.

Anyway back on topic, yes adjust the parking brake cables. I don't think there's a need to bleed the hand brake since it's cable operated.

Are you saying may konting "grab" pa on the brakes when you release it from a dead stop? IMO that's normal. At least on older cars, because it seems that some newer cars have a different brake feel. The E-brake or hand brake should take only a few clicks to fully lock the rear wheels. It probably depends per car but from what I've heard it's around 4-7 clicks only.

By the way the minute slide should be fine as long as it holds. That's just the flexibility of the underchassis components especially for older cars. If it moves around 6 inches or more then something is definitely wrong, but an inch or two should be fine.

It's a good practice to pull the hand brake before you release the foot brake when parking, that way it doesn't place a strain on the parking pawl of the transmission. If you want to test your transmission's parking pawl, engage park but not the hand brake. See how far the car rolls before it clicks and the transmission locks it in place. As mentioned earlier, an inch or two should be fine depending also on the degree of the incline. The steeper, the more it will fall back, but it should hold.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Handbrake is cable/manually operated kaya no need na i-bleed. RedCoder1, mataas ba? kung halos dikit lang at may slide pa kahit batakin, pabuksan mo ulit at ipa-check baka hindi pa fully set at baka may misaligned sa shoe.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Salamat po sa mga sagot.I think I'll just have my handbrake cable adjusted then.Salamat po ulit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Sliding brake with handbrake engaged on slight incline