New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Power steering gurus,

Had the power steering on my fuego 4x2 '97 checked last week because it was relatively heavier to turn, the PS humming and the lack of the wheel to return on the center position when turned than the other pickup (same model)I drive and the occassional humming and rattling when cornering. Here are the stuff the mechanic did and my queries:

1.) Disassembled Steering Gearbox. Ok pa naman daw so it was rebuilt with new steel balls and ATF for the clunking sound which was somehow minimized after the procedure. Wala daw bleed screw on the gearbox?

2.) Checked steering pump check valve for the humming but still it's there - air in the system maybe? Where to bleed?

3.) Replaced worn out Centerlink(555), Idler(555), and steering coupling. - How do you tell original japan three-five/555 from taiwan knock-offs? I found 555 idler with protruding and flat nipples (OEM is ungreasable and has flat, sealed surface on the "nipple" part) respectively tagged at 2.5 and 2k pesos, no boxes and both have the same labels on the plastic and 555 markings on the parts themselves. Which is orig?

4.) Removed old OEM TOKICO steering damper as I suspect it contributes to the heavy turning. Now I'm temporarily driving within the city without the steering damper on the centerlink and the wheel turns much lighter but doesn't return center. Which of the steering parts does the returning-to-center of the wheel from the turning? Any long term effect if I delay my reinstallation of the new damper?

Any opinion and advice from the experts will be greatly appreciated!
    TIA

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    heavy and humming in the steering happens when:
    1. you have low/no ps fluid. this can be solve by just adding fluid and checking the
    level in your dipstick.
    2. air in the system. bleeding the system eliminates the air. if you don't have a bleed
    screw just loosen the tubing (out) until only solid fluid spurts out from it. do this
    with the engine running and while turning the steering wheel from left to right.
    3. (heavy) underinflated tires.

A steering damper helps reduce shocks and jerks transmitted to the steering wheel when hitting potholes or ruts. It also makes the steering return to center. When wornout ,it will not contribute to heavy steering (unless stuckup yun cylinder) as it would make the steering more loose because of the absence of the damping effect. It's ok to drive without it, though a simple gutter and wrong hand placement combination on the steering wheel could give you a fracture wrist.

Though I'm not familiar with the Fuego's steering system I would suggest that you check the U-joints of your steering rods (the long rod that comes out of your firewall). Dalawa malamang ito. One near the firewall and one on the other end near the gearbox. Check for free play. movement should be smooth without sabit.

IMO, the mechanic should've replace only the steering repair kit (seals, o-rings, copper washers). The ball bearings in the worn gear seldom breaksdown and would normally outlive the life of the car. Adjust the steering play screw to minimize play and increase steering response. HTH.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by afrasay
    heavy and humming in the steering happens when:
    1. you have low/no ps fluid. this can be solve by just adding fluid and checking the
    level in your dipstick.
    2. air in the system. bleeding the system eliminates the air. if you don't have a bleed
    screw just loosen the tubing (out) until only solid fluid spurts out from it. do this
    with the engine running and while turning the steering wheel from left to right.
    3. (heavy) underinflated tires.

A steering damper helps reduce shocks and jerks transmitted to the steering wheel when hitting potholes or ruts. It also makes the steering return to center. When wornout ,it will not contribute to heavy steering (unless stuckup yun cylinder) as it would make the steering more loose because of the absence of the damping effect. It's ok to drive without it, though a simple gutter and wrong hand placement combination on the steering wheel could give you a fracture wrist.

Though I'm not familiar with the Fuego's steering system I would suggest that you check the U-joints of your steering rods (the long rod that comes out of your firewall). Dalawa malamang ito. One near the firewall and one on the other end near the gearbox. Check for free play. movement should be smooth without sabit.

IMO, the mechanic should've replace only the steering repair kit (seals, o-rings, copper washers). The ball bearings in the worn gear seldom breaksdown and would normally outlive the life of the car. Adjust the steering play screw to minimize play and increase steering response. HTH.

may bago na naman po kaming natutunan.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Sir afrasay,

2. air in the system. bleeding the system eliminates the air. if you don't have a bleed screw just loosen the tubing (out) until only solid fluid spurts out from it. do this with the engine running and while turning the steering wheel from left to right.
    Will unplugging any of supply/return hose to/from the steering gearbox do for the bleeding?

conventional steering ata ung fuego:

steering wheel -> steering column + coupling on the end -> gearbox -> pitmans arm

Regarding "U-joints," are they some locking mechanism with bolt or are you refering to the "coupling" that links the steering column to the the gearbox or can be located somewhere here:

steering wheel -> wall -> U-joints + steering column + coupling + U-joints -> gearbox

Are there any other vital, wearable parts that need maintenance on the steering column as well? Most mechanics from casa would easily overlook the steering column assembly and tell you it's maintenance-free na daw and head for ...the more expensive parts... sometimes, they get lazy on what might be a small problem.

Sir, thanks for shedding some light on this matter. Learning a lot!

Power Steering Problem