New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    I've noticed that when power steering is engaged, the idle goes down to 500. This happens when the steering wheel is at it's peek either if it's to the left or to the right. Bagsak nalang siya bigla, tapos ayun balik normal idle. Is this a problem or what?
    If you're going to ask if the A/C , lights and sounds are on, it really does not matter because it also happens when these things are off.
    Thanks for the advice.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hmmm... the RPM should fluctuate if the steering pump is working (steering wheel is in full turn). Kung bumabalik naman sa tamang idle speed then that's nothing to worry about.

But 500 RPM sounds kinda low to me.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Flush your power steering fluid, and replace the filter if so equipped.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JCBalunsat View Post
    I've noticed that when power steering is engaged, the idle goes down to 500. This happens when the steering wheel is at it's peek either if it's to the left or to the right. Bagsak nalang siya bigla, tapos ayun balik normal idle. Is this a problem or what?
    If you're going to ask if the A/C , lights and sounds are on, it really does not matter because it also happens when these things are off.
    Thanks for the advice.
    that is normal when you fully turn the steering wheel at peak on either side because the power steering pump gives pressure on the power steering. when it reaches maximum steer at its peak and you HOLD the steering wheel in that position, the power steering pump senses that you still need the assist thus giving more pressure causing your idling to drop, there is no where the pressure will go thus the pump will give more pressure on the power steering that in turn may cause high pressure build-up and may damage prematurely your power steering fittings and hoses.

if you will read your users manual, there is an instruction there saying that you should not turn the steering wheel at its "MAXIMUM" to avoid damaging the power steering pump.. when you make a full turn and the steering reached its maximum, you should turn the wheel back a little to avoid damaging the power steering pump

5. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    Flush your power steering fluid, and replace the filter if so equipped.
    How do i do this? is this DIYable or a mechanic needed? I also did not know that a power steering filter exists

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    If it's not that expensive, pagawa mo na lang just watch over the repair. Easier accomplished as a two man job.

Some cars had power steering filters, some don't. Check yours for any to be on the safe side.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    If it's not that expensive, pagawa mo na lang just watch over the repair. Easier accomplished as a two man job.

Some cars had power steering filters, some don't. Check yours for any to be on the safe side.
    Thanks a lot. Appreciate it.

Power Steering causes idle drop